Nvidia on Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kwanzaa, May 12, 2009.

1. kwanzaa macrumors newbie

I wanted to ask an opinion. Im interested in buying a MB Pro this summer(after WWDC), but now im seeing this http://www.macworld.com/article/140545/2009/05/nvidiasuit.html

Will the future editions be safe from this issue? I've never heard of this case b4 and ive been researching about it.

Thanks for any help

2. lozanoj83 macrumors 6502a

lozanoj83

this is interesting and I do hope it gets into class-action lawsuit.. Nvidia needs to own up to what they did and not be put consumers through a lot of hoops..
    not all consumers, but some who have to battle to get it replaced.

3. kwanzaa thread starter macrumors newbie

its quite annoying i currently have a macbook white and want mbp for stronger graphics better screen better casing and so on, but this is making me wary of getting mbp ive done a lot of research about it and ive been hearing a lot of problems with graphics cards, screen flickering and also the hinges on the screen being too loose. I wanted to know if it is actually a good buy

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

supposedly the problem has been rectified by nvidia. If apple is sticking with nvidia they must feel comfortable that the problems are now in the past I don't think apple would stick with them if they had to continually replace laptops because of defective GPUs.

I'm using a unibody MBP and I'm not all that worried, especially given apple's stance of replacing/repairing the units that fail due to the GPU

5. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

I believe that the problem with the 8600's was a manufacturing defect, not a design flaw. Since the problem was supposedly fixed with the nvidia subcontractor who made the error, it shouldn't be a problem.

And, as for apple repairing defective CPU's out of warranty, I believe they added an additional year of coverage to the initial one year warranty, for a total of two years after the machine was purchased. Extended applecare will of course cover any problem for three years from purchase.

The great unknown is what apple will do for machines outside of the two year or three year periods. If I spent $2k+ on a laptop that died two years and fifteen days after I bought it due to a defect that Apple knew about, I'd be pi$$ed if Apple didn't cover it.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to hug my 2.33 MBP with its ati card.

6. kwanzaa thread starter macrumors newbie

ok thanks, i think apple still replaces factory defects as long as u have proof of purchase, the white macbooks are entitled to a free fixing of the bottom case as it cracks easily, i suppose the same would be applied to the macbooks in this case