NVidia Optimus: Windows 7 only? Link inside!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iBunny, Mar 1, 2010.

1. iBunny macrumors 65816

"NVIDIA informs us that there are currently no plans for Optimus on desktops or on other OSes." - Source: Anandtech

http://www.anandtech.com/mobile/showdoc.aspx?i=3754&p=2
    Quote on the 6th Paragraph.

Not to start a fire here, but just something to note... may be important? maybe not.

2. delux246 macrumors member

3. bananaboi macrumors member

Good! I prefer ATI cards anyway

4. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

Nvidia is fine as long as they are not lemons. I mean they should have recalled every 8600 card and replaced them with a fixed gpu.

5. gothamm macrumors 6502a

6. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

7. iBunny thread starter macrumors 65816

I prefer NVidia's Drivers. But I guess in OSX we dont have to worry about that :D

I am hoping for ATi's current generation Cards in the upcomming MBPs but thats only this generation. Most of the time, NVidia chips have been superior performers.

8. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

thank god for healthy competition!

9. bananaboi macrumors member

IMO, Nvidia performs better for movies but ATI performs better for gaming.. a prime example would be the nvidia in the ps3 vs the ati in the xbox360. I also like how ATI releases new drivers each month, unlike Nvidia which releases new drivers seldomly.

10. keitherson macrumors member

ION 2 ≠ Optimus. Apple is not coming out with a netbook and possibly never will. It might be possible that Anandtech got confused about NVidia talking about ION 2 with Optimus because ION 2 is a discrete chip solution now due to Intel. Or NVidia is being smart about mentioning anything to Apple, who knows.

11. iBunny thread starter macrumors 65816

True. But it still says, quote

"NVIDIA informs us that there are currently no plans for Optimus on desktops or on other OSes."

Confused or not, thats what it says. Relating only to Ion 2 or not, who knows?

12. jimbowdang macrumors newbie

If either ATI or Nvidia can make a mobile GPU that can underclock/undervolt it self at idle properly then it kind of takes the wind out of the whole switchable graphics argument.
    Let the Intel graphics go unused, they are power gated after all so they won't suck power when not used. I'm betting on ATI's 5000 series chips, the HD5870 can go from 188 watts at max down to 27 at idle.
    If ATI can scale that down to a mobile chip it will be a clear winner.

13. iBunny thread starter macrumors 65816

14. gfiz macrumors 6502

gfiz

Just to play devil's advocate, if there were plans to support OS X, in which case they'd all but reveal that the new MBP's would have Nvidia video cards...do you think they're say that?

Personally I'd prefer ATI/AMD anyway, since they have bar none the superior graphic's solution at ever level, entry, mid and high end. But personally I don't think Nvidia's PR claim amounts to much knowing how much pressure Apple puts on its suppliers for secrecy.

15. theLimit macrumors 6502a

theLimit

Optimus switching is driver-based, so it's no surprise that nVidia would state this. They only provide reference drivers, leaving it up to manufacturers to provide their own specialized drivers. Manufacturers are usually so far behind in adapting drivers that the reference drivers provide better features or performance. Also, if nVidia keeps in mind their tenuous relationship with Apple, they would be tight-lipped about working with them.

16. wikoogle macrumors 6502a

wikoogle

Good, Nvidea hasn't made a truly new mobile chip in 3 years.

And they have no plans to make a new one anytime soon.

The ATI 5830 on the otherhand is blazingly fast and powerful chip that I would love to see in the MBP.

17. apw100 macrumors regular

That is a pretty standard corporate PR response. Knowing how touchy Apple(cough, Jobs, cough) is about outsiders talking about their products, I doubt Nvidia would find it worthwhile to spill the beans in an Anandtech article.

18. GSN macrumors newbie

19. wikoogle macrumors 6502a

wikoogle

Only if it means the ATI 58XX series GPU.

Otherwise I would take Optimus. But the 58XX just blows anything Nvidea offers out of the water.

20. 2ms macrumors 6502

Guys there's no company called ATI anymore. ATI became part of AMD almost 4 year ago and the graphics hardware is very different than it would be right now if was still being developed by ATI rather than by company that's in the CPU and chipset business not to mention generally much more direct access to the most modern semi-conductor technology.

21. cmChimera macrumors 68040

cmChimera

Once again....