Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ashleyp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2011
Hello,

I've recently upgraded my graphics card to a Quadro 4000 but want to use my previous card (GeForce 8800)at the same time. When I have both cards in the machine a few things happen, the fans increase, kernel_task goes up to 50% of CPU and after a while it will kernel dump and freeze. If i remove the 8800 its fine.

Has anyone here got the similar config but one that's stable?

Thanks

Ash

MAC Pro 3,1, 10.6.6
Two 2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeo
22GB
NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 512MB
NVIDIA Quadro 4000
CalDigit RAID Controller

crmarriott

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2011
NVIDIA Quadro 4000 and GeForce 8800 Instablility

I'm having the same issues above with nearly the exact Mac Pro specs. I'm running 10.6.7, the latest drivers and CUDA drivers.

In my case, the fans stay spun up but the Mac won't boot when both cards a installed at the same time.

Anyone else having this issue or hear of a possible fix?

Chris

ashleyp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2011
Update:NVIDIA Quadro 4000 and GeForce 8800 Instablility

Sorry to tell you I gave up on this a long time ago, NVIDIA reply was it doesn't work and then suggested i add an second Quadro 4000 instead.

So out came the 8800 and its been fine since. Although it will still kernel panic once in a while for no reason. Early drivers I guess.

Ash

MAC Pro 3,1, 10.6.7
Two 2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeo
22GB
NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 512MB
NVIDIA Quadro 4000
CalDigit RAID Controller

crmarriott

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2011
NVIDIA Quadro 4000 and GeForce 8800 instability

I took out the 8800 as well but have yet to experience a kernel panic. Have you found that NVIDIA has updated the drivers much? We just installed the card so I'm not familiar with how stable it really is from a driver standpoint; hoping that NVIDIA is on top of driver releases.

ashleyp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2011
Um, once I think and that was because 10.6.7 didn't have built in support. You needed to put in your old card to get it working again! Awesome.

Generally this card is fine, once in while i'll get a freeze. But its fairly rare, probably my install more than anything. Unless you are using a CUDA (now 4.0) enabled programs your not going to see much of a difference. It rocks in Premiere CS5. Although your need 5.5 for it to work in After Effects.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.