NVIDIA Quadro FX 4800 Question...

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by TJunkers, Nov 27, 2009.

1. TJunkers macrumors 6502a

TJunkers

I do a lot of 3D work which is why I plan on purchasing said card, but wanted to ask: How does it fair for playing games? Not that I care, but I am just curious since nobody I find tests it for anything but 3D Software.

Thanks!

2. Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

The FX4800 is based odd of the GTX260. For sheer computational performance, the GTX285 will be better.

Aside from hardware, the drivers in the 4800 might be worse for games then the GTX260. The Quadro drivers are meant for consistency and reliability instead of sheer driving power for games.

3. nanofrog macrumors G4

The Quadro are professional cards, so it's not going to be tested for games, but rather 3D applications that can use it. Unfortunately, this means primarily (if not exclusively), Windows. There's a few differences in the card from consumer/gaming models, but the biggest difference is in the drivers (additional functions for specific applications). But they're not optimized for gaming.

4. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

5. nanofrog macrumors G4

I'm not saying they won't suffice well under games, it's just not what they were made for. Rather expensive compared to gaming cards.

Unless there's specific software that can use the Quadro FX4800, then a consumer card will suffice quite well. ;) And is a much less expensive alternative vs. the FX4800 for gaming. :D