Nvidia releases official notebook drivers for the first time ever!!! (Windows)

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Wolfpup, Dec 18, 2008.

1. Wolfpup macrumors 68030

Nvidia.com! They've got notebook drivers up officially, that support a whole ton of notebooks...INCLUDING APPLE'S!

Now I was able to use their desktop drivers fine on last gen hardware, but still.

Go grab 'em, and let us know how they work!

Unfortunately Sony's stuff isn't supported, for some reason. Don't know whose fault that is :-/

2. Mackan macrumors 65816

I don't see the 9400M being supported... So no, they don't support Apple's best selling notebook at the moment, the MacBook.

3. tubbymac macrumors 65816

tubbymac

Doesn't work with the new Macbook Aluminum. When I try to install the new notebook drivers it gives me an error saying it hasn't detected any supported hardware. So you can add Apple to the list of companies that the drivers do not support.

4. Buskape macrumors 6502

Buskape

That's a common graphic driver problem, try installing manually by going to the control panel then system -> hardware -> device manager unroll "display adapters", right click "9400m gt" and select "update driver", "install from a list or specific location" then select "don't search i will choose the driver" click on "have disk" then select the folder where you extracted the driver.

I haven't rebooted to windows yet, i can't leave mac os for now :p

5. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Doesn't work either because the drivers do NOT include 9400 drivers. Only 9300/9500/9600+ and the 8xxx series.

6. mosx macrumors 65816

The 9400M in the MacBook is NOT a 9400M GT.

Also, that is NOT the proper way to install nvidia's drivers. They have an installer for a reason.

The OP stated he used their desktop drivers originally. Again, that is NOT the way to properly install. He is VERY lucky he didn't cause any problems by doing it that way.

7. Wolfpup thread starter macrumors 68030

Why would it cause problems? :confused:

All those modded inf files do is let the system think the driver is for the system's hardware-which it actually is. It seems to be politics that have prevented Nvidia from doing this in the past.

At any rate, I posted all this in both forums before realizing it apparently doesn't support the Macbook's integrated graphics. Not sure if you'd be better off trying to force install these, or the normal desktop drivers.

8. mosx macrumors 65816

The modified inf files allow the installer to run and install the proper software for that hardware.

Without it you miss out on hardware specific tweaks, the possibility of the wrong power management profiles being installed (or not at all, which will increase temperature and the likelyhood of failure in that GeForce 8600M GT), plus you miss out on other things like nvidia's control panel and others.

It's just really not a good idea.

Using the modified inf allows the driver to be installed fully and properly.

Manually/forcing the install means its never done properly.

9. AdventurousJosh macrumors 6502

Hey guys, I have the X3100 card, will this help me play Diablo 2?

10. tubbymac macrumors 65816

tubbymac

Yeap a manual forced install works, but "officially" the drivers do not support the Apple Macbook. So use at your own risk, that kinda thing.

I've noticed no difference between the default driver that comes with bootcamp and forced installs of both the current desktop and notebook generic nvidia drivers - but I don't run games on my Macbook. All 3 drivers have the same display sleep bug on my external Dell monitor and can display standard desktop and web stuff fine. However, I've read that many people have gotten significant frame rate improvements in most games with the newer generic nvidia drivers as opposed to the bootcamp drivers.

The X3100 card isn't made by Nvidia, so no.