Nvidia reportedly exiting chipset business

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jjahshik32, Aug 4, 2008.

1. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

It also says it's a rumor and NVIDIA is denying it. ;)

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Since the path from the Slashdot article to the actual first source report is long and arduous...

http://www.digitimes.com/mobos/a20080801VL203.html

So Skil, or anyone else, educate me... if this is true, it wouldn't impact Nvidia cards Apple uses in, say, the Mac Pro, but it could affect future development paths for the on-motherboard Nvidia graphics on the MBP and iMac, correct? Or is that not what they mean by motherboard chipsets?

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Hmm... What I see coming out of them quitting the chipset business is a greater proliferation of SLI-compatible boards. If they don't make their own, they'll need to do what ATI did and make the technology available to all boards.

Skulltrail is such a big deal because it's the only non-nVidia board that supports SLI right now.

If they were to get out of the chipset business, they'd need to make SLI compatible with nearly every board... which can only be good for us. Nehalem Mac Pro with two 9900 GT in SLI!!!

5. m1stake macrumors 68000

@ the OP, other people read Tom's Hardware and Engadget and Gizmodo, etc. No need to post every time this "news" comes out.

@ mkrishnan, a chipset is a collection of chips that interact with the processor, memory, video card, hard drives, etc. Every motherboard uses a chipset. Intel makes them, Nvidia makes them, and AMD/ATI make them. Chipsets are NOT the video cards themselves, nor are they the graphics cards in notebook computers.

Hope that answered your question :)

Nvidia had to use it's SLI bargaining chip to get a license to make Intel compatible boards for nehalem, and it doesn't even have a license for the whole set, just the mainstream socket 1160. While I would assume they'll be allowed to produce boards for the high end 1366 socket (Bloomfield chips), it is not clear when. I would wonder if it makes sense for them to stay in the business without SLI exclusivity? I would imagine so, because if they pay Intel for the socket license and Intel pays them for the SLI license, it's possible that they're NOT making money on that deal. They NEED the socket.

Intel getting SLI is good news though, their boards are better than the Nvidia competitor. I own a 680i, which is a fantastic board, so take that first sentence with a grain of salt ;)

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Ahhh, okay, thanks. I know what a chipset in that sense is; I didn't know Nvidia manufactured the entire chipset.

7. nanofrog macrumors G4

Perhaps, this may be good news for the near future. :)
    nVidia has too much invested in SLI to just drop it. This may then force them to 'open it' up, which would allow SLI to work on any chipset. ;)

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Essentially it's just the Northbridge and Southbridge that control the functions of the entire motherboard. In other words, they don't bother with motherboard design, what ports to include, what videocard is used. Maybe just what brand of CPU (for socket reasons).

9. Firefly2002 macrumors 65816

In other news, Apple is entering the culinary business...

10. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

yup, sorry to burst your bubble JJ but nvidia will still be making graphics chips

11. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Hypthetically, if NVIDIA were to leave and AMD/ATi goes bankrupt, we can't seriously depend on Intel for GPUs!

12. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

oh god how awful that would be:eek:

crysis on an x3100 SWEET

13. m1stake macrumors 68000

chipset ≠ graphics, they have nothing to do with each other.

To the people who think Intel can't compete, wait for Larrabee. There is every reason to assume that it will give Nvidia and ATI a run for their money.

14. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

I think Skulltrail was likely the first step on a short path to the future way things will go.

Though instead of Nvidia selling the chips to Intel like they did for Skulltrail's full SLI support.

Intel may simply take the next step and license the technology and incorporate it into their own chipsets eliminating the need for any Nvidia chips (whatever chip that was they added onto the PCIe bus.)

---

Either the tech will be more widespread rather soon, or dead ... we shall see.

Nothing wrong with eliminating a huge R&D drain from chipset development, and focusing on core technologies.

15. zeeklancer macrumors regular

I am sorry, but I think most of you have this wrong.

Nvidia is not leaving making GPUs, but rather chipsets. The chipset is the chip on the mother board that controls access to other hardware. Sort of like a hub. It is what gives the CPU access to the RAM, and so on.

So, that being said, I can assure you that if Nvidia leaves the chipset business we will still be sure to see new GPU's and Video cards by them.

As the fist poster seemed to imply, that it was due to the bad chips in the GPUs that have been rumored, this would most likely have nothing to do with that because it is a completely different product line.

16. nanofrog macrumors G4

I think most did understand chipset, not GPU. Yes, they will continue to produce GPU's. Hopefully both better and cheaper. ;)

My previous comment was, that with the end of nVidia chipsets, maybe SLI will become unlocked, and operate on any chipset. Would be nice. :)

17. Firefly2002 macrumors 65816

Well we're talking about chipsets not graphics.... but if they left, ATI couldn't possibly go out of business.

And besides, there's still 3dfx! Rise, Phoenix! =]

18. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

3dfx was bought out by nvidia

19. m1stake macrumors 68000