nVidia says that new MB/MBP GPUs are "safe"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TheCakeIsALie, Oct 16, 2008.

1. TheCakeIsALie macrumors regular

nVidia responded to the Tech Report regarding some questions involving their graphics chip failures, and I quote the part specifically about the new Apple notebooks (statement from GeForce Senior VP Jeff Fisher and GeForce General Manager Ujesh Desai).
    So what do you think? Are we safe? Link to the original news story here.

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

3. andrewdale macrumors 6502a

Because revival is in the air?

Or, maybe just because everyone wants to write about everything.

It's up to your discretion. Or theirs.

4. bushbaby macrumors 6502

bushbaby

Thanks, OP for the link to this current article. I hadn't seen it.

This is not a non-issue. I hope all these people buying up the older model Macbooks and Mbps are not buying soon-to-be lemons. Apple knows this is a problem and yet they are not issuing a recall and they are not warning people on the sale page and they should be.

In answer to your question, Apple knew of this problem in July. So did they already have a contract with nVidia to build the new gpus for the new line and how far along were they? I would like to think they would not risk all the problems they had with the previous model and would be careful to correct the problem. So I would not be concerned about the newest mbs and mbps. But I would avoid the older ones with 8600 like the plague. Apple's not even guaranteeing them against failure for the life of the product. They only added an additional year for the faulty part.

5. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

Good point. Perhaps the older pre-SR MBPs (ATI x1600) aren't looking so bad after all.

I think I'll wait a bit to see how these new systems fare over the next 6-9 months (or maybe a year). Hopefully no massive failure rate.

Cheers,

6. PDE macrumors 68020

If anybody would have asked the same person at the beginning of the product cycle of the last MBP, his answer would have been that everything is fine and that there is nothing to worry about since Nvidia only makes the highest quality products and has strict quality control.

So, we're probably safe, but there are no guarantees. Personally, I would prefer not to buy a product with a Nvidia GPU - not because of the defects but because of the way they've handled dealing with the defect. That goes for Apple too, but since I want Mac Os and I want a 'pro' laptop there is no other (legal) option at present than to go with the flow.