Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
I'm interested.

Looking at various options... Currently got a PS4 and an Apple TV.

I'd like one device which can basically do everything and store about 200GB of my films.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
I think I'm gonna pull the trigger on this thing, it's getting good reviews and seems to tick all the boxes.

And regarding my previous post, I sold my PS4 and won't bother with the new Apple TV.

I think this Shield can do it all.

Reactions: HiDEF

HiDEF

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
Miami, FL
I'm still holding off till I get some ATV reviews but hardware wise, I don't think anything can beat it right now.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
They are on sale right now and most places that sell them will price match, $175.

Impressed with it but my controller keeps disconnecting while using it. Also, my older system doesn't seem to like these new HDMI devices (going through my signal converter from HDMI to Component my ATV4 and this unit says "out of range"), so I have to use it through my XBox One TV input.

Netflix, Hulu, and YouTube run really smoothly (compared to Apple TV, both old and new).

Will probably be returning it and sticking with my true consoles - I have 30 days.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
I gave mine one more chance.

For some reason, YouTube launched and I can search/choose videos, but came up with some "playback error" when playing the video.

I had all the updates and restarted the console. YouTube worked on my cheap android tablet and iPad just fine.

Welcome to Android, I guess.

I returned it. Too bad - lots of potential but these strange Android inconsistencies or annoying...

Not to mention whoever made the home button on the controller "touch sensitive" instead of a regular button needs to do a little research into console gaming controllers.... :eek:

HiDEF

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
Miami, FL
I didn't want to start an entire new thread but, I was wondering how everyone's Nvidia is treating them? I ask cause I read that Apple TV will be getting a Jailbreak soon and I'm wondering if it's worth getting the Apple TV over the Nvidia ATV?

I don't have any experience with neither but is a jailbroken ATV worth it?

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
I didn't want to start an entire new thread but, I was wondering how everyone's Nvidia is treating them? I ask cause I read that Apple TV will be getting a Jailbreak soon and I'm wondering if it's worth getting the Apple TV over the Nvidia ATV?

I don't have any experience with neither but is a jailbroken ATV worth it?

Mines fine, I really like it, it's very fast and powerful. It all depends on where you live though and what you want to do with it, as that dictates the apps and services you get.
I looked at the new Apple TV and the Shield device in the UK, but as we don't get any of the fancy subscription TV services on the Apple TV or Amazon Fire TV like America does, then it didn't offer me anything over the Shield, and I wanted to play games on it.
The Shield seems pretty hackable if you're into that, so you can probably customize it like a jailbroken ATV. But in America you'll have to compare the streaming services available on both devices, I use Kodi too and that works very very smoothly on the Shield.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.