Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac Hammer Fan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 13, 2004
I use Sierra on my Mac Pro for a couple of months now. I use the nVidia webdriver for my Geforce 980. Sometimes, after I wake up the Mac screen, the monitor remains black for nearly a minute. I only see the cursor after a couple of seconds. I never had it with Yosemite and High Sierra, but I don't use the latter very often. This bug seems to be related to Sierra. Does anyone have the same experience?

frou

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2009
This happened with my GTX 680 too. Made me realise that I didn't have any particular reason for using the web driver and so I switched back to the stock driver.

Andreaux

macrumors member
May 8, 2016
Hi there,

I have the exact same issue with my GeForce GTX 680 in a Mac Pro 5,1 with 10.12.6 (this was happening since a couple of releases so this is not specific to 10.12.6). This doesn't happen with the stock Apple drivers at all, but manifests itself as soon as I switch to the NVIDIA Web Drivers...
Anyone, any idea?
Is i possible to report this but to NVIDIA somewhere? Maybe they aren't even aware of this...

I use Sierra on my Mac Pro for a couple of months now. I use the nVidia webdriver for my Geforce 980. Sometimes, after I wake up the Mac screen, the monitor remains black for nearly a minute. I only see the cursor after a couple of seconds. I never had it with Yosemite and High Sierra, but I don't use the latter very often. This bug seems to be related to Sierra. Does anyone have the same experience?

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
If you own and are using an official NVIDIA GTX 680 Mac Edition or any other official NVIDIA Mac GPU, you can open a support ticket with NVIDIA. All other NVIDIA cards on Mac are technically BETA and not officially supported. You can attempt to contact NVIDIA about a Mac issue, but they do not have to offer support.

I disabled sleep and automatic screensaver more than a year ago. Sleep was not causing an issue with my official GTX 680, but the screensaver was. If they are both enabled in power management, try disabling screensaver first. Choice of monitor apparently does play a role as well. Some are able to re-establish a connection/signal more reliably than others. If you can change the DP setting on your monitor, may be worth looking into.

Reactions: h9826790 and orph

orph

macrumors 68000
Dec 12, 2005
UK
im on a 5.1 with a pc GTX770 osx10.12.6 no problems with sleep or screensavers with native or nvidia driver.

i gess you can try looking at crash logs or try your luck asking in http://forum.netkas.org/ they tend to know a lot

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.