Nvidia Sucks

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Velin, Jan 2, 2010.

1. Velin macrumors 65816

Velin

A rant. I own a couple late 2008 Mac Pros, one at the office, one at home (our office runs on Apple and OS X, most people opted for iMacs). Both M Pros came with Nvidia 8800 GTs.

And in less than 1.5 years, both Nvidia 8800 GTs have failed, in two separate machines. The first 8800 GT in my office Pro failed within months of purchase. Applecare replaced it. I expect it to fry any day now.

Second Nvidia 8800 GT failed just yesterday in my home machine. Card didn't even last 1.5 years. Two failures, two separate machines under heavy, but normal, use.

These Nvidia failures come on the heals of our switch to Macs a couple years ago, after repeated Vista headaches.

In our old desktop PCs, we had even more Nvidia failures. Our former desktop PCs had the Nvidia 79XX-GTX line of cards -- each of which failed, repeatedly, with mind-numbingly annoying artifacts and display errors. Replaced some of the cards with Nvidia replacements, and even the Nvidia replacement cards failed just months later. So we took to researching the issue, and what do we find: tens of thousands of consumers complained about the 79XX line, they were failing at an astonishing rate. Turns out they were running too hot and the die/seating/heatsink package was defectively designed.

(And just do a search about the litigation against Nvidia for all the failed notebook graphics cards, affecting everyone who owns Dell, HP, Apple, Asus, etc. The forums here are filled with Nvidia complaints across notebook lines. What a mess.)

So over the last four years, it is no exaggeration to say every Nvidia graphics card I've owned has failed. Failed across multiple machines and platforms. No card has lasted more than 1.5 years, and the longest lasting card was in my home Pro, the 8800 GT, which failed yesterday. Most have failed within months.

Note these cards are not overclocked, "watercooled," or messed with with to boost performance. These were stock installs, using approved drivers, cables, install procedures, etc. The computers receive heavy use -- but that's what these machines are for. People like us spend money for business class desktops and Mac Pros because we use the machines, daily, sometimes for long periods. These Nvidia PCIe GPUs simply should not be failing within months, or a year, from initial purchase under normal use.

I am hoping beyond hope ATI has better quality. I just installed an Apple ATI 4870 in this Mac Pro -- a ripoff at $380.00, but these are work machines and we need them running, so I just wanted to get the damn card in and be done with it. So annoyed I'm even having to waste time with this.

2. ljonesj macrumors 6502a

ljonesj

well for 129 u could have gone with the 3870 mac pc edition but it might now have been powerfull enought for ur needs

3. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

My ATI 4870 broke after 6 months. Beat that! Then Apple wouldn't replace it for me because I wasn't using it in a 2008 or 2009 Mac Pro. Then I had to go to my local Mac repair shop to have them get Apple to replace it.

4. TheStrudel macrumors 65816

TheStrudel

Nvidia has had troubling reliability problems in recent days. It happens to various manufacturers from time to time. ATI's also really jumped ahead in their recent releases, so as of right now, they're riding high in the GPU market.

Other companies also have trouble. Like LG's troubling color uniformity issues and tints on their LCD panels. And that's a nuisance since they're the only company making IPS panels, period. So their quality control issues affect NEC, Dell, HP, Apple, and a few other monitor manufacturers.

That's the problem with having a component only made by one company...they run into problems and everybody else has to deal with them.

5. Gomff macrumors 6502a

I feel your pain, had exactly the same issue with an 8800 GT card failing in a Mac Pro. I'm now running a flashed 4870 (I refuse to shell out over double for the Mac version) and I'm hoping to avoid the same fate with that.

It seems Nvidia are going through a really dodgy spell at the moment, both with desktop and mobile GPU's....All the current Macbook Pro's only have Nvidia cards in which would put me off buying Apple if I was looking for a new laptop.

6. seisend macrumors 6502a

seisend

I bought a Mac Pro 2009 with a GT120. Card didn't even function for a week. Replaced it, and worked from then on. A month later, I ordered a GTX 285 from Apple (EVGA), my Mac crashed every time I stressed my 285gtx. So I replaced it with a new one. Everything works fine now and I have both cards installed with dual screens. bad luck?

edit. My nVidia 8600GT Mobile with 256MB Ram in my MBP 07 just works fine still ! And I stressed this GPU hell a lot. I always had ATI in my PC days, and I had trouble with these cards too.

7. lemonade-maker macrumors 6502

lemonade-maker

I am using five Nvidia cards currently. A gt120 since march, a 8800gt that is two years old, a 9600gt in a pc that is two years old, a 9800 in a year old pc, and a 5600fx that is four or five years old. All no problems.

I have also resold 26 dells with 8600gt cards. All in daily use for two years in a nasty environment with no issues.

I have a drawer full of ati cards that have crapped in that time.

Neither of these make me say ati sucks or nvidia is awesome. My experience is anecdotal and so is the OPs. I personally only buy nvidia. If someone wants an ati it's their choice. You could have bad run of luck with those too. What really sucks is there are only two legit choices.

8. Gomff macrumors 6502a

It is admittedly difficult to judge precisely how bad the problem is since people generally tend to post and complain when things go wrong. I've only had problems with Nvidia cards and the 8800 GT I had followed the pattern that other people described exactly.

It's interesting that Apple are no longer selling that card, yet they offer other GPU's that are less powerful.

9. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I am still using an 8800GT in my Mac Pro. Nvidia seems to have better drivers in Windows and ATI has better drivers in Mac OS X.

ATI cards break and Nvidia cards break. Just depends on how lucky you get with either brand.

10. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

My 8800 GT failed after approximately a year and a half worth of use. I switched to a 4890, and even under load it doesn't get nearly as hot as the 8800.

11. Velin thread starter macrumors 65816

Velin

I'm noticing the same thing. When undertaking graphic-intensive projects or apps, the Nvidia 8800 GT sounded like a leafblower. I could feel the heat coming out the back of the machine. My home office's temperature would literally rise because of it.

I've had the ATI HD 4870 less than 12 hours, but I'm already noticing a marked decrease in fan noise and heat, using the same applications.

I hope this bodes well for the life of the new ATI card in the Mac Pro.

12. ljonesj macrumors 6502a

ljonesj

well when i bought my ati 4850 for my gasp winblows vista machine it ran hot like 75c hot i looked it up and found out that the ati cards are designed to run hotter so that they can survive

13. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

14. ljonesj macrumors 6502a

ljonesj

u get a mixed bag of things with electronics some are good some arent

15. Winni macrumors 68030

Winni

Tough luck. My 8800 GT is as old as yours and still working perfectly fine. Besides that, nVidia has the best driver support this side of the galaxy -- try getting native drivers for FreeBSD, Linux and other niche operating systems for an ATI/AMD card. Okay, that might not be of interest for you, but for me Linux and FreeBSD support actually is important since I use those platforms in my job.

Also, just for the record, I've never had a failing nVidia card in computers before my Mac Pro either.

So based upon my anecdotal evidence, nVidia doesn't suck but totally rock. I wouldn't buy anything else.

16. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

nVidia has almost always sucked on Macs. I have an ATI X800 from early 2005 (yep, 5 years old), still going strong after heavy use in my G5, no problems and no servicing aside from blowing the dust off occasionally.

--Eric

17. Infrared macrumors 68000

Infrared

18. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

On my Mac Pros, I've only had the X1900 fail, but, throughout my lifetime, I've had video cards from both ATI and Nvidia fail. I don't expect things to get any better. These two companies are so engulfed in their quest to outdo the other, they've really placed little regard on efficiency. Look at how each new card requires more power and increasingly ridiculous cooling. Then, they use fans that stop working far sooner than they should.

I miss the days of passively cooled CPUs and GPUs...

19. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Yep, both of ours died; a second revision of the card was produced, which thankfully lives to this day... touch wood.

I'm not sure either nVidia or ATI are particularly bad.

20. Topper macrumors 65816

Topper

GTX 285. I couldn't be happier. That is until the GTX 360 comes out.

21. Gomff macrumors 6502a

Just goes to show the variance and "luck of the draw" element I guess. I have a 3 year old Macbook Pro running an ATI Radeon X1600 which was doing the heavy lifting for about a year as my main machine doing 3D graphics work, hooked up to a 30" cinema display. Still going strong, and still useful if the big machine is rendering.

Because of my experience with Nvidia cards, I just don't trust them.....Never had a bad experience with ATI (Touch wood).

22. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

The 4550 HD is a passively cooled card, I don't know if there's anything newer that doesn't need a fan, but they do exist... just not for a mac.

23. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...I'm staring at a Visiontek HD 4550 and its got a fan on it... did you mean a 4350?

24. ildondeigiocchi macrumors 6502a

ildondeigiocchi

My 8800GT on my old Mac Pro failed twice. I guess it just couldn't handle the strain of heavy gaming in Windows.:rolleyes: However, the 4870 handles it fine albeit its temps run in the 70 degree celsius range but watever :D I find I like ATI more except its sad that most games are optimized for Nvidia cards. ATI offers newer technology like Eyefinity something which NVIDIA has yet to implement. :( Nvidia has a lot to prove when they release their new cards and they better do it quick or else they're simply ceding the market to ATI. :D

25. 10THzMac macrumors 6502

So far two 8800GTs, two GTX 285s, one GTX 260 and 6 quadros all behaving fine in various configurations on 7 08 Pros. And they have been abused by being moved in and out of various slots while I play with umpteen combos, and powered in different ways. So I am a lot happier with Nvidia than the company that made my failed G4 PSU, failed G5 PSU, failed ACD PSU, failed Airport Express, failed MacBook HD. To be fair the 08 Pros are fine.