NVIDIA Tegra in iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by patrickdunn, May 13, 2009.

1. patrickdunn macrumors 6502a

patrickdunn

Is it possible that Apple could be shoving the NVIDIA Tegra processors in the new iPhone?

Check out this article: http://www.mobilebond.com/nvidia-tegra-to-support-android-winmo-etc/

It states: "NVIDIA promises to indicate the timing of the release of devices based on Tegra processors at Computex in June of this year."

[​IMG]

Could they have left Apple iPhone OS off of list of supported OS's to prevent speculation?

2. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

June 2-June 6 - they'd have to keep quiet about it over Computex if Apple hadn't talked about it? Someones apparently going to get a lot of Tegra anyhow - they[ve been talking up 2009 and Tegra.

Nvidia CEO, Jen-Hsun Huang at the earnings call - Nvidia posted a net loss of $201.3 million:

"Of all the products in our company, Tegra long term has the largest TAM (Total Available Market)" ... Nvidia has been "investing in Tegra for about four years"

"We are ramping 40nm probably harder than anybody and so we have three products in line now in 40nm and more coming shortly,"

i.e. Apple will get the 9400M and 9600M GT replacements for the Macbook and MacBook Pro. But then there is an alternative angle on Nvidia...
    Their GTA 300 release date was unrealistic apparently too.
    http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1052025/gt300-delayed-till-2010

You'd think that their battle with Intel about Nehalem chipsets might be pressing a bit more in their mind to sort and discuss, no?

3. Andrmgic macrumors 6502a

Apple has been the first to adopt nvidia's new chipsets (and the first to announce them) before.. so anything is possible, I suppose.

4. =MuLti-CeLL= macrumors 6502a

=MuLti-CeLL=

I don't know how they would hide this one at computex but I might pay very close attention as to if they say "...and we have a huuuge announcement coming next week", that would get me excited. :D

5. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Let's put it another way:

6. CarlisleUnited macrumors 6502

I thought the Ion was only in use with the Atom processor or am I mistaken?

7. =MuLti-CeLL= macrumors 6502a

=MuLti-CeLL=

Or better yet, what does the Ion have to do with Tegra? Or am I completely missing the connection besides obviously being NVidia?

If Ion=Tegra and 1st quarter show outstanding sale results then I'm excited we might actually see something out of this.

I'm still a little skeptical though, we've heard little to nothing about Tegra, but then again things seem pretty tightly sealed for anything new this summer.

8. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Oops - what i meant by the quote was that Apple's a big purchaser of the 9400m - MB MBP MBA mini and iMac all use Nvidia.

But Apple hasn't used Ion yet.

"I think that is Apple, Acer and Asustek, they are all huge Ion customers."

Slip of the tongue?

9. iansilv macrumors 6502a

You know what- for as awesome as ion is, NVIDIA has been real quiet about it...

Ion = MacBook Tablet

Tegra = new iPhone Pro...

10. iansilv macrumors 6502a

i predict- revised low cost iphone with speed and capacity bump- stuff Chinese guy leaked.

iPhone pro- http://www.nvidia.com/page/handheld.html

Mac tablet- ion- rumors are all around Apple recieved the first shipment of them

11. =MuLti-CeLL= macrumors 6502a

=MuLti-CeLL=

That would be sweet.

Man, this waitin' around mess is getting old. :rolleyes: *sigh*

12. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Can you point me on these Tablet - Ion in an Apple product rumors please.

13. iansilv macrumors 6502a

14. =MuLti-CeLL= macrumors 6502a

=MuLti-CeLL=

Do you ever sleep? :confused:

15. svndmvn Guest

I say no new graphics for the iPhone this summer... maybe Tegra or something similar on the iPod touch, if there will be one model only, or on one of them, all depends on what the iProd was. I hope that wasn't the tablet, since that should have a normal OS.

16. Padraig macrumors 6502a

A couple of sites including Engadget and Gizmodo have heard rumours claiming that tegra will be featured in the soon to be announced MS's 'pink' smartphone. Haven't heard anything yet linking it to a future iphone though.

17. svndmvn Guest

since referenced in 3.0 it's supposed to have the necessary HW to run 3.0, therefore it's not just a dock... and either way the iPhone wouldn't need a dock, it has BT, especially in 3.0, if Apple wanted, it could communicate with a KB just like the Newton did, you'd need a cable for a Display though, you can already connect it to the TV, if I'm not mistaking, with no docks, right?

18. Haephestos macrumors regular

It may not need a dock, but the 3.0 firmware could have specific hardware support for the dock to enable other capabilities.

19. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Wish I could.

My thought, though likely shot down as it's wrong - Apple's been using the iFPGA as a resource to test the chips/SoC they're making. Get someone like Synopsys in, help with it. FPGA can be used by themselves, but they might be using it solely for testing a product. I like the idea that the dock could be a key - but why have the dock having 3.0?
    THe change in cables - is that a small detail, or linking this up? 3 weeks eh? (and likely more as we won't get all the goodies in one go)

20. cg0def macrumors regular

Ion is likely be completely ignored by Apple. The much rumored about tablet is going to run the iPhone version of OS X and so far it DOES NOT run on x86 architecture. Also Tegra is not really any worst than Ion and I have no idea why you would dismiss it for the tablet PC. There is a wild card however, Apple did buy a chip maker that has a quite attractive offering. I have no idea how far the development has gone but there were a lot of speculations a while back.
    The bottom line is that as it stands there is no way to tell what Apple has up their sleeve. Either way I wouldn't care too much about the CPU that they have chosen especially considering the last couple of generations of Apple products. I have yet to see a bad hardware choice ( apart from maybe the Broadcom wi-fi chips ).

21. Haephestos macrumors regular

As I said before, the dock may not nessecarily run 3.0, but the firmware may have special support for the dock. If that's what it is.

22. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Reading this fairly new patent (afaik) - "Media Interface" patent here.
    makes A LOT more sense potentially.

http://www.ubergizmo.com/15/archives/2009/05/iphone_tvvideo_streaming_idea.html

http://appft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-...41".PGNR.&OS=DN/20090061841&RS=DN/20090061841

We've seen Nvidia show this kind of thing - but the devices wasn't in a dock - see this video.

Who would have thought, that with one dock, Apple could suddenly take be a force for the living room? It's doing the ATV's job: Films, TV Programmes, Music, Photos.

"Connect one HDMI cable and, just like that, ....your iPhone turns your TV into so much more."

Was Apple TV knowingly created as a front runner for this? Or just good fortune that they can use the iPhone to do this now? With the Dock size, they could tweak it a bit, and get 802.11n in there too? Some kind of Airport going on too? I mean, the dock could be in addition/complementary to the ATV as an alternative - you need physical space for a lot of the cables - but mini HDMI doesn't need that much, does it?

What do people think? This could be totally wrong, or quite accurate! :D

Would explain a way to demo both the v3 iPhone and also opening up the dock connector/BT - Apple can demonstrate what it's capable of.
    Pop the Ion into the ATV, get it using wireless with an iPhone to relay a game onto a TV? What is it exactly - the ATV? As a hobby, surely it's more malleable to being modified/used in a different way?

Attached Files:

23. Haephestos macrumors regular

24. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Just read on 9to5mac source, that Apple doesn't have to change the innards for the network for China - meaning that if they *have* sealed a deal - then presumably that'll mean they'll be looking at manufacturing for launch a shed load more iPhones that before. Hopefully that means >2 high end 32GB models in one store. Anyone seeing the possibility of queueing up at some silly hour (again? ;) )?