NVidia Tegra vs PowerVR SGX graphics card

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by orson3g, Jun 21, 2009.

1. orson3g macrumors member

I have looked for (and not found) a side-by-side comparison between these two graphics processors. Can someone in the know do a comparison or link me to one that may already exist? Thanks.

I'm curious about the Zune HD's gaming potential vs the iPhone 3G S'.

2. boonlar macrumors 6502

tegra is garbage. its based on arm11 while the sgx chips are bundled with cortex a-8 which is twice as fast as an arm11. the custom nvidia dsp is the only good thing about the tegra. just stay away from that overhyped failure.

3. skwoytek macrumors 6502a

But the Tegra runs the ARM11 MPC which can contain up to 4 processor cores. So one one hand you have multi-core and on the other you have advanced architecture and instruction sets. With all four cores the ARM11 can process more instructions per second than the Cortex. But again, if Apple uses the enhanced instruction sets of the Cortex A8, that can be negated. Tegra can also shut down cores to save energy when not needed.

I'd say depending on what the hardware developer intends, each one has its benefits.

4. The General macrumors 601

Don't worry, the ZuneHD will likely never have any good games because of how few people will buy it.

5. bob vansteel macrumors regular

Get your facts right!

The Tegra is based on the ARM11, but it focuses on graphics power...much better potential than that of the Power SGX, all while providing much better battery life in the process!

So if you want to focus on gaming....Tegra
    All around improved speed(i.e. iphone)....Cortex A8+SGX
    (lol and general computing....Atom+ion)

Or it will because of the close ties with the Xbox/Live/Arcarde....just saying

6. boonlar macrumors 6502

I'm pretty sure the SGX has better battery life than the tegra

7. orson3g thread starter macrumors member

Are the Tegra and the PowerVR SGX in the same market then and competing with one another? Or is one for a different market than the other? The only thing that I've heard that uses the Tegra is the Zune (though I'm sure that will change in the future.)

I'm not interested in purchasing a Zune HD, it's mostly just a curiosity. Well, unless it has a portable Halo and 2 analog sticks (which it won't) but until MS makes a mobile Xbox handheld I'll just game on the phone.

8. bob vansteel macrumors regular

the SGX alone, probably does...but the SGX and the Cortex A8 (which is the only cpu the SGX works with) NO.

You see the Tegra is a combined cpu+gpu sort of deal, a relatively newer concept.

So a system as a whole will last longer on the Tegra, than the same system on Cortex A8+SGX. BUT the Cortex A8+SGX will out perform the Tegra in every are but graphics.

9. Cytosine macrumors newbie

Zune isn't using its potential

The Zune HD is not using the Tegra platforms full potential

This article talks about power consumption, and upcoming devices on the platform.
    Towards the end it mentions the Zune and the fact that it isn't really going to be HD without purchasing extra components.
    The specs are given for the dev device some of you might have seen in Tegra demos.
    I want one of those :D

10. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    The second generation Tegra, due by 2010, will use the A9. Something like three-four times the performance, same power usage.

11. argor macrumors member

vansteel i have to say get your facts rite
    powervr SGX can work whith any cpu i have see it work whith mips arm7 arm9 cpu´s
    but you are coret powervr SGX line dose comsume lees powervr than the gpu
    in tegra
    and too tell you under similar loads Cortex A8 will comsume lees power but under full load 2-5% more
    i am sorry too tell you there is nothing new in the Tegra the only thing i thing they did good is the use of power island

i were you dont take mark on nivdia marketing bullish
    from what i have heard the graphics power is nothing special