Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KingArthur

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 15, 2001
Marion, Ohio
I know that nVidia is suppose to release their 6 new XForce chips this week (and maybe they already have, I don't know), but can anyone speculate when we will see them in Macs? These new chips are suppose to completely replace the current line of GForce chips, so will we be seeing the new ones replacing the Mac line of GForce chips? ATI is also suppose to be releasing 6 new cards this month, so I wonder how long it will take for those to make it to the Mac market, as well.

morlium

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2002
don't hold your breath.
i wouldn't expect to see them until 2004, at the very earliest.

KingArthur

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 15, 2001
Marion, Ohio
Oh, I'm not holding my breath. I know how, although Apple is a leader in graphic rendering technology (all thanks to AltiVec), they are way behind in the graphics card market. I am betting we would see AGP 8x in the Macs before or when we see these cards in the Macs. I wouldn't doubt it if ATI releases a Mac card first. I do favor ATI although my roomate hates them b/c PC gaming companies usually only write drivers for nVidia chips, so Radeons tend to have less-than-par compatibility with PC games.

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
Thanks, i tend to agree that ati's drivers for the mac are allways behind or being updated. My geforce3 has been a solid gamers card, but that fx is supposed to be worst then the first wind tunnels.

KingArthur

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 15, 2001
Marion, Ohio
The FX5800 Ultra is suppose to be so horrible that nVidia is only going to fill the preorders and then scrap it. The other models are suppose to be so-so, but not super impressive. nVidia is already working on their next-gen chip to replace these ones as quickly as possible.

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
nice article, with ati updating everything,nvidea doing the same this summer should be fantastic. I see all the video cards being replaced in powermacs,imacs and if a 970 comes out with some of these new cards it will be all i could ask for. I can see it now a 1.8 ghz 970 with a 9800 videocard! Doom3! is summer here yet?

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
nVida had problems with the Ultra... like noise... heat... um oh yeah that problem where the chip takes 2 slots instead of one...

:eek:

I heard the Ultra... it was loud, gave off Massive loads of heat and well was Killer at gaming. :rolleyes:

Computer_Phreak

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2002
Originally posted by Dont Hurt Me
whats the difference between the fx and the fx ultra? anyone know. J.carmack of id did say the fx was very loud.
]

ultra has a faster GPU / RAM clock speed

aethier

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2003
Montréal, Canada
Originally posted by Dont Hurt Me
Thanks, i tend to agree that ati's drivers for the mac are allways behind or being updated. My geforce3 has been a solid gamers card, but that fx is supposed to be worst then the first wind tunnels.

YOu are quite right about that, on tomsharware they did a review of the fx. the also put a mp3 of the fan. it is LOUD!

aethier

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.