NVMe and Mavericks

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by tripmusic, Mar 23, 2018.

1. tripmusic, Mar 23, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2018

tripmusic macrumors 6502

tripmusic

Is it possible to use NVMe chips running Mavericks? I've done quite a bit of searching and reading, but don't see that version of OS popping up.

Edit: Just using it as a scratch drive for recording, not to boot.

2. JedNZ macrumors 6502

JedNZ

I'm only aware of the NVMe hack found here working with 10.11.5 and above. Is there a reason why you can't upgrade to at least 10.11.5?

3. tripmusic thread starter macrumors 6502

tripmusic

I have my audio recording setup on a different boot drive running Mavs. I've got some older software and plugins that I've got dialed in pretty well and don't want to upgrade and mess it up. I've learned the hard way with DAW's to just leave it alone if it's working. In the future I may try and get it up to El Cap, but I just wanted to know for now if I could get NVMe to work with Mavs.

4. JedNZ, Mar 24, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2018

JedNZ macrumors 6502

JedNZ

Yeah, better not play around if it’s all going well. I’ll let you know if I find a way to get NVMe and Mavs to play together but not holding out on any hope for you.

5. kwikdeth macrumors 6502a

im in the same boat due to still using legacy TC Electronics hardware which wouldnt run past Mavericks. i played around with it a lot but it just never worked. you could get it to at least see there's a device there, but it wasn't able to recognize it as a drive. there's just no kernel-level support for the NVMe protocol there which is whats needed.