Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aryan-x86

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 28, 2024
Hi gentlemen,

I have a Mac Pro 4.1, flashed to 5.1
32GB RAM, single X5690, USB 3 PCI card
I have a MacVidCards MSI GeForce GTX 970 GAMING 4G that supports the boot screen.

And I HAD a cheap SATA SSD. It failed on me a week ago. Luckily I was able to make a full backup by making an image with Macrium Reflect. So have all my partitions. I had OS X 10.13.6 17G66 High Sierra and Windows 10 using Bootcamp.

Now I am wondering if it's possible to use an NVME SSD with a PCIe adapter. I have a 1TB ADATA XPG 8200 Pro and I found in another thread that this SSD is supported (https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/pcie-ssds-nvme-ahci.2146725/)

When plugging in the NVME Drive, Windows 10 recognizes it in Disk Management. Now I'm a little confused on what to do next. I hear that I should ugrade to Mojave for BootROM 140.0.0.0.0+, which supports NVME. Now is this only for MacOS, or do I need BootROM for Windows 10 as well? And is this BootROM needed to boot automatically from the NVME SSD, or to boot at all (So can I boot from the BIOS by repeatedly pressing ALT during the boot, and selecting my NVME Drive, without upgrading my BootROM to 140.0.0.0.0??)

I believe my GTX 970 doesn't have support for the Metal graphics API. So do I have to buy a Metal compatible graphics card to install Mojave. Would I have to keep using that graphics card to boot to Mojave / Windows 10? That would take away the boot screen, which I prefer to keep.

What if I ONLY copy the Windows 10 partition to my NVME SSD, and move everything else to an HDD, would I now be able to boot from Windows 10 by selecting the NVME in the bios?

Or maybe use it for a Debian install, would that be possible?

Does anybody have any guides/suggestions/tips??

Thanks

Borowski

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2018
Don't boot Windows in UEFI mode, this might destroy your bootrom. UEFI startup is necessary for Windows booting from NVMe-SSD.

Only way to avoid this issue is to install OC-bootloader, which protect the firmware.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.