Nxe

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by Dagless, Nov 18, 2008.

1. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

... Is apparently being rolled out today, a friend got his about 30 minutes ago - not tried our Xbox yet. Anyone else got theirs?

And I rather liked the blade menu :eek:

2. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

Huzzah! No more Fisher Price!

But really, everything I have seen looks really cool. I just wish M$ weren't such a'holes with their insanely overpriced hard drives so I could put a few games on there.

and curse you Jimmi, it doesn't come out today! Tomorrow! You kooky Euro type peoples and your wacky release dates.

3. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

No it's tomorrow in Europe too (or at least should be). Mine hasn't moaned about an update when I was playing banjo earlier...

4. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

Nah we don't have it yet but a couple of locals have it. It's likely MS might be releasing the update at different times to different systems to lessen their server strain.

Anyroad I look forward to seeing what it's all about :)

Psssss. Is there any other way to check for an update other than logging onto Xbox Live?

5. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I thought it was the 19th...oh well I'll update and play around with it today. Only thing about the NXE I'm interested in is the NetFlix incorporation...should be interesting to stream some movies.

Bless

6. Macjames macrumors 6502a

It is, i had a message when i logged into xbox live

7. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

It was offered to me about half an hour ago (but wasn't when I first turned the Xbox on three hours ago). It's going to take some getting used to!

8. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

I got my 360 about six hours ago, nice to see I can enjoy an upgrade almost as soon as it's out of the box :)

9. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

So far I've found 16:10 support (I can have round circles at last!) and the ability to copy games to the hard drive. Stupidly you still need the DVD in order to actually play the games though (it doesn't seem to tie the disc's unique ID to your Live account or anything). Copying appears to be limited to games; I tried to copy an HD DVD but it won't let me (it's technically possible with MMC but Microsoft doesn't seem to support it).

10. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

It's likely just for copy protection - Stops you renting and installing games then playing them indefinitely.

I think the installing to HD is a great idea as it keeps the noise down!

11. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Yep, that was the worst thing about GTA IV :).

12. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

GTA IV was the worst thing about GTA IV ;)

Saying that, I think it's a great idea - I just wish I had a slightly bigger hard drive, my 20GB really only gives me enough space to install one game at a time, but I suppose that's enough if I'm playing through one game over an extended period.

13. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Like the avatars, they're cute without being too childish.

Will take some getting used to the new layout, but so far it seems ok. I'm sure given a week we wont even remember 'blades'....

Oh and why the frick does it take so long to transfer data to the new 120gb HDD with the transfer cable ? aghhhhhhh

14. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

The only problem with the new install to HD feature is now it looks like I need to replace my 20GB drive with the 120GB drive and get a memory card to swap all my saved games between them.

Pretty expensive just for that. I still need another hard drive for my Mac. Decisions, decisions :(.

15. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

That's exactly what I just did this morning in prep for this. Installing games to the HDD now in fact.

Also no you don't need the memory card. As long you get the official 120GB hdd and not some knock off modded 20GB-120GB from ebay, it is supplied with a Transfer Cable/Adapter and a CD/DVD which does all the transferring for you.

Takes about 45 minutes - 1 hour to transfer all your saves / demo's etc.....

16. dan-o-mac macrumors 6502a

dan-o-mac

Love the Netflix Watch Instantly feature and the fact that you can stream HD Watch Instantly to your 360!

Does anyone know if Watch Instantly is restricted to one 360 or can I log into my account from another 360? Let's say I go to a friends house and want to pull up my Netflix Queue and watch a movie there, is it possible?

17. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

That's surprisingly not bad. Me and my sisters characters look the spit of us, shame you can't alter sizes a little better though. And a big shame about the lack of formal clothes for blokes. And the burping button is oh-so cheap.

Seems a little slower to operate than the blades.

18. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Good to know. Thanks.

The absolute best thing about NXE is being able to delete the arcade trial games from your achievement list that you don't have any points from, nor likely to ever get any from.

19. X1Lightning macrumors 6502

X1Lightning

I only got to mess with it for about 15 min this morning before work, but i like the new interface so far.

I wish the avatars could be a little more customized to body style, and attitude.
    I think they are all too clean, what if you want to look more gritty?

20. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

There will probably be more customisation coming in the future. I think they just wanted to get it out of the door and will worry about stuff like that later. But yeah I'd like to have a better avatar really.

21. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

fixed :D

22. odinsride macrumors 65816

odinsride

I'm still at work so I haven't checked it out yet, but can anyone report on how it works with Connect360? Like, does it even work at all? Better? Worse? Will Connect360 need to be updated to work with the NXE?

23. X1Lightning macrumors 6502

X1Lightning

I didn't play any media with connect 360 this am, but my 360 did still see my mac after the update. i'm definitely going to try it tonight.

24. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Its quite nice but my "dashboard" is taking rather long to load up....Well now I'll go and test this puppy out and play some my just bought Gears of War 2.

Update: All is smooth now

Bless

25. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Seems like when accessing some of 'LIVE' features they are being a bit sluggish. I assume it's to do with the 13 million LIVE users updating their consoles and such..

Games RUN A LOT smoother and faster from the HDD and my 360 is now as quiet as my PS3.

Makes a huge difference to games like Banjo where there is a lot of loading, what was once a 15 second wait is now around 5-6 seconds... Great stuff.