Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
And motorists were delayed for over 12 hrs as the roads were closed (snowstorm) and when they re-opened, the NYDOT forced those motorists to pay the tolls

I don't agree with this at all

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
It probably cost the local PD more to help those stranded motorists than a similar 12-hour period in the summer, when it costs.... nothing. I don't have a problem with the tolls. I'd gladly pay it, and thank any officer I could find who was out there in horrible conditions looking out for me.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jul 17, 2005
Well that is why we pay taxes, do we not?

From a PR perspective its horrible as

1) motorists were stranded out in blizzard conditions for 12 hrs due to the NYDOT not having forsight on future conditions

2) to then make those same stranded motorists pays for tolls for a 12 hrs delayed spent in freezing cars, being late to where they are going, etc due to the shortfalls of the NYDOT

jknight8907

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2004
Hudson Valley NY

From a PR perspective its horrible as

1) motorists were stranded out in blizzard conditions for 12 hrs due to the NYDOT not having forsight on future conditions

2) to then make those same stranded motorists pays for tolls for a 12 hrs delayed spent in freezing cars, being late to where they are going, etc due to the shortfalls of the NYDOT

What do you expect NYDOT to do about a blizzard? Say "please please stop snowing"? That's about all they could do. It's a BLIZZARD.

Do those motorists not know about checking the weather before they left? That storm had been a centerpiece of weather news for a few days, and there was no shortage of warnings about blizzard conditions.

colourfastt

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2009
What do you expect NYDOT to do about a blizzard? Say "please please stop snowing"? That's about all they could do. It's a BLIZZARD.

Do those motorists not know about checking the weather before they left? That storm had been a centerpiece of weather news for a few days, and there was no shortage of warnings about blizzard conditions.

It's a common condition these days: it's not MY responsibility for me to take care of myself.

adk

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2005
Stuck in the middle with you
motorists were stranded out in blizzard conditions for 12 hrs due to the NYDOT not having forsight on future conditions

Do you mean they were literally stranded on the side of a closed road, or do you mean they they had to hang out at a truckstop for a few hours while the roads were made safe again?

Road closures happen, especially in the upper midwest. Have you experienced a true blizzard (complete whiteout conditions and windchills in the negative fifties)? If you have you'd understand that sometimes the roads just can't be cleared or made safe. Closures happen because it's not even safe for the plow drivers to be out there. As for the tolls, when the highways are open so are the tollbooths. Why is it the state's fault that an extreme weather event made clearing the roads impossible?

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jul 17, 2005
Do you mean they were literally stranded on the side of a closed road, or do you mean they they had to hang out at a truckstop for a few hours while the roads were made safe again?

They were literally stranded on the side of a road or a ditch for 12 hrs in their personal cars

There were many reports of motorists running out of gas in order to keep their cars warm

Road closures happen, especially in the upper midwest. Have you experienced a true blizzard (complete whiteout conditions and windchills in the negative fifties)? If you have you'd understand that sometimes the roads just can't be cleared or made safe. Closures happen because it's not even safe for the plow drivers to be out there.

Having lived in Colorado/ Nebraska/ and NY I have seen many blizzards

I also know from living in Georgia that it doesnt matter if its a blizzard or not that shuts down the roads but rather the communities resources to deal with the snow once its on the ground

As for the tolls, when the highways are open so are the tollbooths. Why is it the state's fault that an extreme weather event made clearing the roads impossible?

I am not saying the state isn't justified, I am saying its bad pr to turn around and say to motorists who had been stuck in their cars for 12hrs to pay the toll due to the major inconvience they just went through
It's a common condition these days: it's not MY responsibility for me to take care of myself.
Ok? Like I said above, I am not arguing that the state has no right to collect the tolls. I feel under the circumstances, its a bad move to demand it

When we pay taxes and tolls on top of it for the NYDOT, they better close the roads before stuff like this happens. That is part of the reason why we pay for the NYDOT. For them to fail on their end to maintain the safety of the roads and then turn around and demand toll payments for the upkeep/safety of the roads is ironic

daflake

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2008
If they were blocked for 12 hours because a sign fell and they couldn't get it moved, then yes as it was NYDOT's fault. However, a simple check of the weather and the people stuck wouldn't have been there in the first place. I live up here in Mass and we watch the weather everyday at this time of the year to make sure that we don't get caught out in nasty weather. They used the road and were inconvenienced by an act of nature, so they still need to pay.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
As for the tolls, when the highways are open so are the tollbooths. Why is it the state's fault that an extreme weather event made clearing the roads impossible?

Agreed. If the weather hadn't closed the roads, they would have ended up paying the toll so what is the big deal. It's not like the NYDOT came out and charged them twice the amount of the toll.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
When we pay taxes and tolls on top of it for the NYDOT, they better close the roads before stuff like this happens. That is part of the reason why we pay for the NYDOT. For them to fail on their end to maintain the safety of the roads and then turn around and demand toll payments for the upkeep/safety of the roads is ironic

If they did that, the same people would be complaining that their taxes pay for those roads and they should be open at all times, and that the government shouldn't determine when the roads become unsafe to drive on, but rather drivers should.

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI

What you didn't mention in your setup story is when NYDOT first encouraged people to stay off the roads until the clean-up was well underway. DOTs always advise against travel under the circumstances you describe. That's why we pay taxes. Those stranded motorists either ignored the advice, didn't hear it, or were too oblivious to the conditions they could observe for themselves. We also pay taxes so that the police can rescue people in such circumstances. So, we pay extra for those who don't take proper precautions (like maybe going to the DOT website to find out what they advise for travel) while we sit snugly in our warm houses. Those who don't pay heed should pay double tolls!

Bad PR? I don't know about that. Should the oblivious travelers be fined to cover the additional costs? You could make a strong case for that.

iOrlando

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
you make it sound like the tolls are like 30 bucks. I could be wrong, but isnt it like a $1.50 or maybe at most $3-$3.50 for something like traveling the entire mass pike?

and i could imagine getting stranded on the highway in a blizzard is probably up there in worst things to go through on earth. These are the people who you meet that carry a weeks worth of food in their trunk and enough supplies to start a base camp at the nearby campsite.

adk

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2005
Stuck in the middle with you
They were literally stranded on the side of a road or a ditch for 12 hrs in their personal cars

There were many reports of motorists running out of gas in order to keep their cars warm

I find it hard to believe that the people were ordered to simply pull over on the side of the highway and stop driving.

I can believe that
1. They were forced to exit the highway and stop in a town
2. They voluntarily pulled over when they realized they were in over their heads.
3.They stopped on the side of the highway because it became impassable when they chose to continue driving after being told it was closed and that it wouldn't be plowed.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jul 17, 2005
I find it hard to believe that the people were ordered to simply pull over on the side of the highway and stop driving.

I never said they were ordered
I can believe that
1. They were forced to exit the highway and stop in a town
2. They voluntarily pulled over when they realized they were in over their heads.
3.They stopped on the side of the highway because it became impassable when they chose to continue driving after being told it was closed and that it wouldn't be plowed.
The plows couldn't even clear the roads due to the dangerous conditions

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.