NY Safety Inspection on car

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by dukebound85, Jan 16, 2009.

1. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Well crap. Why is NY so effing strict on saftey inspections? Colorado has no such inspections for either emissions or safety

Looking at this
    http://www.nysdmv.com/broch/c-50.htm

has me worried

Problems I have in my car

1) small slit on sidewall of my tires due to curbing. like 1/8th inch and has not been cause for any concern my mechanic said
    2) on of my fog lights is burned out
    3) driver seatbelt is a little fraid length wise for about an inch long 1/8 inch wide but operates fine
    4) very small oil leak

will any of these cause my car to fail inspection?

I swear, im beginning to not like this overregulated state already:mad:

argh!

Also, does anyone know if my mortorcycle endorsement on my colorado liscense will carry over to NY?

2. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

I don't think you'll have a problem passing inspection unless the thing is seriously burning oil.

Call DMV, they'll tell you about the Motorcycle endorsement over the phone. It should carry over, but I don't really know. As bad as they used to be here, they've really improved their service lately.

Also, inspections depend on where in NY you live. If your in the Long Island / NYC area, the inspections are tougher than if you live outside the city. They are cheaper upstate too.

3. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I don't think New York's safety inspections on cars is strict. I think that perhaps Colorado isn't strict enough.

Get with the times, Colorado.

4. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

no its not burning oil at all as far as i can tell. in fact the oil level doesnt drop significantly over the 3000 miles/3month intervals i change my oil. however, it does leak a tad.. just not enough to drop the level (and yes its oil thats leaking)

I'll be in the Schenectady/Clifton Park region

Will a slighty frayed seatbelt make my car fail the safety check?

Haha! I remember until like 5 years ago, Colorado used to require emissions testing every other year. They have since done away with the practice. I guess they are just regressing lol

5. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

Perhaps not with the state of New York, but your car will definitely fail the safety check of reality if and when you are involved in a serious accident. They have those regulations for a reason, and it's not solely to make money. I'd get that replaced ASAP, especially before you attempt to drive across the whole country.

SLC

6. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

well fixed the oil leak. was the valve cover gasket on my engine block

im gonna buy a salvage seatbelt thats not frayed tom and install myself

a new one was 150 vs 35 from a salvage car. plus labor was about 100 more so ill do it myself

such a pita

7. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

that is my though on it.

I see nothing in NY safety check that is out there. Hell most of it I deal with in the state of Texas for years.

Most safety inspection are failly easy to pass and most of the time the stuff you get dinged for are minor fixes not counting the emissions check.

For example common things to get hit on are Wiper blades, lights, for me my horn was not properly grounded which was an easy fix.

Everything is minor and easy and make it safer for everyone one on the road.

8. LeahM macrumors 6502a

LeahM

The only way to really find out is by bringing your car in, I paid $21 for an inspection, but its a '06 so its fairly new.