NY Times Iphone article

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by michaelsviews, Apr 28, 2008.

1. michaelsviews macrumors 65816

2. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Thanks for the link!

I loved the quote from someone about his wife's iPhone browsing in bed. Woo hoo. So much for an article backed with any hard facts.

RIM has nothing to fear. Apple has generated tons of extra sales for everyone because of their smartphone hype. Even licensing business critical software from Microsoft won't mean much to corporations that are deep in Blackberries.

Plenty of phone pie for everyone out there.

3. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Just like "CrackBerry" trying to play "catch-up" to the iPhone! I took a test drive with the BB Pearl and I kept touching the screen, and thought the "baby screen" was terrible and the internet websites were the worse I'd ever seen. I think my iPhone knew that something was up! LOL Yep, funny article. :p

4. wildcardd macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I had a pearl for about a year. It was a good emailing phone, but I despised using the web access. The screen is too small, browsing mobile sites was a chore, and if the site didn't have a "mobile" version it was even worse.

5. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

You are comparing two different things

1) The corporate nerd-brain with the suit and tie whose life depends upon an email which he may receive to inform him that his buyers have not been able to meet his demands and have only purchased 500 tonnes of sesame seed and needs to forward the email to his boss immediately. Most people in this category also have a phone especially for voice.

2) the 18 year old college kid who loves his music, and wants to be able to listen to it wherever he wants, and is also a textoholic and has three different girlfriends he wants to call.

in short these two phones are aimed at entirely different markets, after reading article i still dont get why someone would compare the damn things and i dont believe iPhone is causing RIM any trouble or vice versa, they are two different things. I highly doubt RIM would ever make an iPod-esque phone or iPhone will ever boast a QWERTY//

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Hopefully renewed competition will make the Blackberry more fun to use and more web-capable, the iPhone more robust and efficient in getting work done and... well, I don't really care what becomes of Windows Mobile. ;)

EDIT: FWIW, I know plenty of people who are actually gainfully employed and do business functions with their phones as well as fun stuff... and there is definitely crossover in that market. I switched from a BB to an iPhone myself, for one.

7. runplaysleeprun macrumors 6502a

runplaysleeprun

I think RIM should be afraid not of the iPhone as it is now, but how it will be with V2 of the firmware, when all those business-centric feature will be added. They will have some real competition in that market at that point from the iPhone.

8. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

This is the attitude that's going to get RIM run over eventually by the iPhone. If they take a defensive stance, always trying to fight back at what Apple has done, rather than an offensive one by coming up with their own ideas, they will always be a step behind the iPhone.

9. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

RIM is unfortunately nearly a 1 trick pony in comparison to Apple's options.
    As analysts have previously said, they've held the majority of the marketshare because they haven't had any real competition previously.

10. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

i get the feeling RIM will test the waters perhaps by making a curve or the other large blackberry (not sure which model) which looks like pearl 8100 but a lot wider with a touch screen while leaving QWERTY to see how users like it...

11. wildcardd macrumors 6502a

Hmmmm...which one am I, a "Corporate Nerd Brain" or an 18 year old "playa"

Please, don't lump iPhone users into the 18 year old "playa" category. Because I might be a corporate nerd brain who likes to email AND listen to music, watch videos on planes, surf my favorite MacRumors, and then go home to my loving wife. ;)

12. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

sorry to have been so stereotypical, was meant to be humorous but wasnt.. my bad.

is there anyone who owns both an iPhone and BB and uses them both on a daily basis?

13. wildcardd macrumors 6502a

No worries....just pointing out that the iPhone DOES have a larger market than you were making it out to be.

I have a Pearl and a iPod Touch (my company has been locked into Verizon until recently). I am waiting for the new iPhone to switch completely.

As I said earlier, the Pearl is good for email, but the iPT is better. I don't need the tactile response that BB holds on to so dearly. I like emailing with my iPT as long as I am in WiFi range. I can't wait to have this all in one device.

I prefer to do everything with my iPT (email, surfing, videos, etc). Just can't make phone calls and only when I am in WiFi range for the internet features.

14. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

blackberry pearl isnt quite the full bb experience tho.. but full bb QWERTY feels comfortable for heaby typing and easier than iPhone for long emails..

i love my iphone tho.. its fantastic..

15. wildcardd macrumors 6502a

Agreed...although you do get used to the 2 keys on one button thing pretty quickly. The screen is too damn small though. Even on a Curve or 8800 series.

16. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

the screen is lovely in my honest opinion. i generally see the 8700g screen which appears to be perfect. i use my iPhone for plenty of voice, and plenty of iPod use... i overwork it.. but i would like a BB for Mail only..