Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Thieves in New York City are reportedly posing as company employees in order to steal thousands of dollars of hardware from Apple Stores.

According to DNAInfo, last week a man dressed as an Apple staff member walked into the company's SoHo store and gained access to a backroom, stealing iPhones worth a combined $16,130.

Apple-Employees.jpg

Similar incidents occurred back in March when a store on the Upper West Side was targeted by Apple staff imposters twice. In those thefts, the store lost $50,000 in iPhones.

Gizmodo notes that the tactic appears to have been adopted since Apple retail chief Angela Ahrendts introduced a policy which sees all staff wear blue shirts with smaller Apple logos. Ahrendts' announced the new uniforms internally in 2015 with the catchphrase "Back to Blue... But All New", which introduced several different styles of shirts for employees to wear.

Previously, Apple staff changed their uniforms on a semi-regular basis, with colors and styles linked to seasonal holidays, specific themes, or product launches.

NYPD has connected the two robberies as "related", and hasn't specified whether the thieves were wearing official shirts or close approximations. Either way, the incidents are likely to make Apple revise its security arrangements and look again at its more standardized uniform policy.

Article Link: NYC Apple Stores Being Targeted by Thieves Dressed as Retail Staff

Last edited:

dZp

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2006
So I suppose the old Off-the-Clock Bag Searches is now a thing of the past.

ncbeYhE.png

/s

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008
Inside job? Back store rooms are coded and locked, no?

Either that or the stores being hit are slacking in some crucial areas.

Reactions: Oblivious.Robot

cloudyo

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2012
I guess the serial numbers will be deactivated and activating the devices will be impossible. So the thieves haven't really gained much.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Do Apple Stores have CCTV so they can see who did it? I appreciate that won't bring back the stolen iPhones, but catch one perp and the house of cards might fall down ...

Reactions: V.K.

Shirasaki

Suspended
May 16, 2015
Maybe those thieves steal demo iPhones? Or those iphones in stock area, with wrappers on it?
If for former, then fine. Nothing much. Thieve can hardly use anything.
If for later, then Apple would have a hard time trying to track them, or at least devalue them.

lk400

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2012
Maybe those thieves steal demo iPhones? Or those iphones in stock area, with wrappers on it?
If for former, then fine. Nothing much. Thieve can hardly use anything.
If for later, then Apple would have a hard time trying to track them, or at least devalue them.
They would know the serial numbers of stock they received. Do a stock check, deactivate the missing ones. But these things will be sold for spare parts anyway.
[doublepost=1465559689][/doublepost]"the tactic appears to have been adopted since Apple retail chief Angela Ahrendts introduced a policy which sees all staff wear blue shirts with smaller Apple logos."

Seriously? Gizmodo / macrumours? More and more like a trashy tabloid every day.

WordsmithMR

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2015
Murica
I doubt the uniforms are the problem... How you can just walk into the back with no key code, card, or... TouchID is crazy. I worked low end retail when I was 18 that kept like only $500 (plus security cam and HR documents)in its safe in a room that required your hand print.

Reactions: Jamalien

joueboy

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2008
I assume that person stole 16 iPhones. Multiply that to $250 original price of each phone. Still significant amount of money but $16K is more news worthy. :D

syndalis

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2008
I guess the serial numbers will be deactivated and activating the devices will be impossible. So the thieves haven't really gained much.

They could be chop shopped and get lots of displays, ports, frames, sensors, batteries, etc.

The only loss is the mainboard.

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
Similar thing happened at a Macy's I worked at. During one Christmas season a thief came dressed as a temporary hire. He even had a temp badge. Worked with a full time staffer all day and walked away with all the cash in the register at the end of the night. This happened because no one checked to see who he was. Not the workers nor the managers.

Do the Apple Stores staff not know each other? They don't ask questions when they see someone new working?

Last edited:
Reactions: ohio.emt and V.K.

Dephtones

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2015
Sucks for people that will buy brand new iPhones on eBay or craigslist only to have it blacklisted and be out money. I know eBay will protect the buyer but still a hassle to have your money in limbo. Either way I hope they catch these idiots and give them decades in prison. They don't belong in our society.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
Meh. These kind of things happen in any retail operation, and like many big companies, I'm sure Apple has it covered (insurance, tracking, etc).

b0nd18t

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2012
I don't think the problem is with standard uniforms. How about a wireless security pass to gain access to the back room? They are pretty common.

jmitch720

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2009
Similar thing happened at a Macy's I worked at. During one Christmas season a theif came dressed as a temporary hire. He even had a temp badge. Worked with a full time staffer all day and walked away with all the cash in the register at the end of the night. This happened because no one checked to see who he was. Not the workers nor the managers.

Do the Apple Stores staff not know each other? They don't ask questions when they see someone new working?

I worked at Apple 5th Ave from 2007 to 2011. A lot has changed since I've been there, but when I was there, new employees started almost every week. with 500 employees it was impossible to know everyone. There were cameras in the back and you did need to use an access card to gain access, but it was very common to go back as a group going on break and just have one person open the door for the group. I assume this thief went into the back with another employee, grabbed some product as if he was helping a customer or restocking, and just walked out with it. When I was a cashier I used to help people bring iMacs out to cabs all the time.

Reactions: V.K.

peterh988

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2011
I don't think the problem is with standard uniforms. How about a wireless security pass to gain access to the back room? They are pretty common.

Probably just time your arrival at the door to co-incide with someone else, who will unlock and most likely hold the door open for you because you have the right uniform on.

I recall thieves stealing two huge JCB plant machines near me a few years ago, they simply drove onto the site with a low-loader, they were wearing hi-viz jackets, safety helmets, something that looked like an ID card/pass on a lanyard around their necks, and carrying a clipboard.

Loaded the machines onto the trailer, drove away. Plenty witnessed it, but everyone thought someone else was dealing with it.

I imagine you could walk around a hospital for a good long time unchallenged, simply by wearing a white coat and a pass dangling around your neck.

Fairly easy for those brazen enough to try it.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
What seems off to me is that a while back there was a legal issue about the stores inspecting employee bags as they left the store. If I remember correctly Apple won the battle and continues the practice. So even if you get into the backroom (which already is a sign of something wrong), how did they leave the store without being checked? Clearly something seems strange with this story.

Jimmy Bubbles

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
Nashville, TN
Let me guarantee you that Apple knows every single one of those serial numbers of devices that were taken. They have a very strict inventory control system. It's only a matter of time and Apple Loss Prevention are not ones to be trifled with.

SteveJobs2.0

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
Not too surprised. Apple stores in general fee like a hectic and disorganized experience. There are few stores that I dread more going into than Apple Store since I know that it will be a hassle trying to get the attention of a representative who might or might not be in the process of helping someone.

Reactions: ohio.emt
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.