NYC area slow speeds AGAIN!?!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by oplix, Aug 17, 2010.

1. oplix Suspended

oplix

I noticed the whole day today I've been getting ***** 3G speeds on my ip4 in NYC. I live in brooklyn and I just did a speed test getting 400kbps down. Earlier this morning in Manhattan it took Google Maps 30 seconds to come back with a search result.

I thought this was remedied? WTF is going on.

This is with 5 bars.

2. Irish Rose macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A400 Safari/6531.22.7)

Not sure what is going on, but I just ran a 3G speed test here in the PA. suburbs, and I only came up with an upload speed of .89Mbps. Sure hope this isn't going to start happening again. Yesterday, I got 1.62Mbps upload.

3. Megalobyte macrumors 6502a

This might not be just ny.

I'm in FL, up until about a week ago my 3G speeds were awesome, and pretty consistent, this last week or 2, the download speeds have been very erratic, slower across the board, but more than slower, one minute it's 3 Mbps, then 100 Kbps. Then 20kbps, then 2.5 Mbps, and so on.

Used to get a pretty steady 3 Mbps, and often 4-5 Mbps, now max is 3 Mbps, but more often it's more like 1 Mbps, with lots of dips well below that.

The odd thing is, while my download speeds are all over the place, my UPLOAD speeds have been rock steady. So whatever AT&T is up to, it's only screwing up my DL speeds, not the upload speed, it's now quite common to get 500kbps down and 1250 up, I wonder what the hell AT&T is up to, are they artificially lowering DL speeds to save bandwidth?

4. oplix thread starter Suspended

oplix

This is ********. I've about had it with their ******** make believe third party bugs that their network is magically experiencing 2 months after the phone has been released.

Gonna have to make phone calls tomorrow and be persistent about this. :mad:

5. Irish Rose macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A400 Safari/6531.22.7)

Good luck with the call. I can just hear the rep now; this is the first we are hearing of this, we'll look into it.....

6. oplix thread starter Suspended

oplix

Ya good point. It's like talking to a brick wall 99% of the time. They will give you the reset your settings/reboot run around. Going to just go into the ATT store down the street and see what they have to say.

7. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

Yea speeds suck in si ny but when I was in nj it was supper fast so I am also pissed

8. Diseal3 macrumors 65816

9. oplix thread starter Suspended

oplix

it's 3:30am and I just ran a speedtest and got 3.12mbps down. That's not the point though. It's the non-existant consistency that's got me pissed. There has to be a middle ground in peak hours. That middle ground can't be EDGE speeds.

10. terraphantm macrumors 68040

We just got 3G where I live, and while the speeds are decent with 3.2mbps down and 1.6mbps up, the connection isn't very stable at all. I get handed off to edge very frequently, even though my signal strength isn't all that bad (usually 3 or 4 bars with the new calculation method... so -85dB give or take).

11. Irish Rose macrumors 65816

As of this morning, my speed is back to normal again. :)

[​IMG]

12. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

It's erratic, but at least it's usable unlike a month and a half ago. NYC suburbs here.

13. oplix thread starter Suspended

oplix

This is strictly for NYC.

14. cfernandes macrumors regular

cfernandes