NYC area - which carrier to switch to?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JD76, Oct 14, 2011.

1. JD76 macrumors member

Im thinking of making the switch from T-Mobile and my beloved Android phone. I played with the new 4S and I really liked it. The keyboard, while on a smaller screem, works much better than the Androids kb... I was going to switch to Sprint but their 3G speeds are horrible... borderline Edge speeds. So that leaves me with ATT & Verizion. Im leaning toward Verizon cause ATT is super crappy... How are Verizon 4S speeds in NYC and hows their service overall vs AT&T?

2. iSIILENT macrumors regular

I like att for several reason... first and for most people complain about drop calls.. but i work in nyc and it works in the building i work in , in the basement and elevators , other workers and people that walking around same building their service does not work, where i live, att works in basements , sprint, verizon have trouble having good service in basements and elevators , thats my experience ...just giving you my view on it

3. JD76 thread starter macrumors member

Thats surprising.. My friend on his Verizon always gets service in elevators and basements.. My T-Mobile never gets service in elevators.. and lately T-Mo's service has gotten worse... but their data speeds are really fast.

4. JohnnyQuest macrumors 65816

JohnnyQuest

AT&T is pretty spotty in New York. In some places, it's really strong and fast, and in others, it's just awful. But, I'm sure Verizon is no different. Just depends on where you frequent.

5. JD76 thread starter macrumors member

AT&T's data plan seems a better fit for me vs Verizons.. plus my wife gets 23% off with her work discount... BUT im scared to go AT&T being in New York City.. ive heard nothing but horror stories.. plus when speaking with friends in other cities such as Dallas and LA, they always drop calls when we speak with one another... Has AT&T gotten any better here in the NYC area?

6. jazzer15 macrumors 6502

I don't have an iPhone, so I can't speak to call reliability, but I've found AT&T 3G service in NYC on the iPad to be great sometimes and unusable at others. I work downtown and I notice a definite slowdown during peak times -- e.g., lunch time and rush hour. For this reason I was thinking about exchanging for Verizon. YMMV, of course.

I would love to hear other experiences for AT&T and Verizon based on location/time.