Nyc New york city 3g speed experience

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by neupane00, Jul 17, 2008.

1. neupane00 macrumors member

this is disappointing. In new york city, i was getting 120 kbps in edge. With 3g i am consistently getting below 100kbps.. i got 356 kbps few times. What a disappointment. I am about to switch of 3G, cuz its doing nothing but consuming more battery. Im near 59th and Lex... Anyone else from new york? whats your experience? im using testmyiphone.com by the way..

2. ivtecDOu macrumors 6502

ivtecDOu

your thread title makes me want to go kick babies

3. ChrisN macrumors 65816

ChrisN

huh?

Well my dad got a new iphone yesterday and on the highway in northern NJ i compared it to my old iphone and it did load gizmodo and macrumors faster.

ChrisN

4. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

I got 1.5mbps on the east side of Manhattan, last night at 11pm. Back to 200-300kbps today.

5. hobbit123 macrumors newbie

2273 kbps near grand central

6. newyorksole macrumors 68020

I was at the SoHo Apple Store using the iPhone 3G and I tried loading www.Yahoo.com and after 20 seconds it still didn't load anything. Siigh.

I also used 3G on my friend's iPhone to load google.com and it took the same time as it does on EDGE.

7. neupane00 thread starter macrumors member

id be happy if i got 300kbps.. :(

8. neupane00 thread starter macrumors member

I have much better experience in jersey, near edison area. Im getting 700kbps plus. But new york is where i spend the most time.. disappointing.. totally disappointing. is it that at&t 3G network is not enough bandwidth..

9. gowanis macrumors 6502

can anyone comment on the Newark-Jersey City area for 3G?

Anyone who rides the PATH train knows that EDGE is practically dead for that trip...

10. iphonematt Guest

In Columbus, Ohio I get 350kbps- 550kbps. Right now I am getting 474kbps with 5 bars 3G.

11. sikuss macrumors member

sikuss

wtf?

12. neupane00 thread starter macrumors member

i just tested in nyc 59th and lex.. 72 kbps lol.. its pathetic. But i do have 5 bars on 3G. is this my phone?? this is horrible. Totally not something i had in my mind when i thought of 3G speed.

13. sikuss macrumors member

sikuss

Could it have anything to do with traffic on the 3G network?

I remember that with the old iPhone, EDGE was painfully slow if I was using it on the train to or from the city during rush hour (when I presume everyone else was using the network too). However, during off hours, it'd be perfectly acceptable.

Maybe many others are on their phones during their lunch hour right now and that's what's slowing it down (would explain the speed at 11pm on a Wednesday night experienced by the other poster in much the same area). Either way, unacceptable speed given all of the trade-offs that come with 3G (battery life & cost).

Beef up that network AT&T!

14. Mobile923 macrumors 6502

I work downtown on the 26th FL... iPhone is always on EDGE until I go to Settings, disable and re enable 3G... 3G kicks back in for about 5 mins, then reverts back to EDGE.

Wack.

15. sikuss macrumors member

sikuss

Sorry to thread-jack for a moment, but do any of you also notice that, once the phone switches from 3G to EDGE, it is EXTREMELY reluctant to return to 3G without manually switching 3G off and then back on. I actually don't think I can ever recall the phone going back to 3G on its own...

16. Lara F macrumors 6502a

I've had it switch to edge and back to 3G automatically (this was in the W14th St Apple store actually).

I've got to agree the speeds are pretty poor in Manhattan. Fortunately I never had the original iPhone so getting any nonwifi internet outside is an awesome novelty. But I definitely hope Att increases their network soon. Brooklyn seems to be better at least.

17. neupane00 thread starter macrumors member

mine goes back and forth automatically and quickly.. i guess depends on how clear 3g signals are. i dont think theres anything bad with your phone, its probably, just the area, strength of edge and 3g

18. parkds macrumors regular

19. jeffbnyc macrumors newbie

My 3G/EDGE Speeds

My speeds have been pretty horrid.

At work in Chelsea:
    EDGE w/ full signal of 5 bars - 4-6k/sec
    3G w/ 3-4 Bars - 4K-12K/sec

At home in Hell's Kitchen:
    EDGE w/ 4-5 bars - 20-something K/Sec
    3G w/ 2-3 Bars - 40-something K/Sec.
    wifi - 400+ K/sec

Is 40K/second really the best I'm gonna get? It's crap. There's really no point in me having a 3G phone at those speeds.

This is all using the iNetwork Test App. Interestingly the App says Network Type: EDGE even if my phone says 3G. I'm guessing that's a bug in the app.

20. Sweetbike40 macrumors 65816

Sweetbike40

LOL!!!!!

21. Sweetbike40 macrumors 65816

Sweetbike40

But seriously... i had another 3G phone before the iPhone 3G. I also had issues around NYC. I was very frustrated and considered not getting the iPhone because of it. My area is supposed to have so much 3G and i rarely see it on the phone. If it continues, i'll go to AT&T and discuss the data plan price.
    I'd never give up my iPhone though.

22. Element76 macrumors newbie

Im in midtown NYC full bars 3G with horrible speed. This is ridiculous.. Apple AND AT&T better come with an official announcement of why and what they are going to do about it. AND give us a refund per day of when we are not able to use the advertised services.

At home in NJ i have 0-2 bars 3G and dropping calls in an area thats CLEARLY states 3G service according to ATT's map.

I even bought the INetworkTest and NYC midtown 5:40pm im getting 10KB. What am i paying for?! Do i have a bad phone or what is going on? This entire experience with Apple and ATT has been terrible.. purchasing, activating, service................ Verizon EVDO is looking better and better. Well i hope this is worked out before my trial.. otherwise Im returning this 3G phone and going back to my 2G iphone... or Verizon EVDO for the broadband.

23. jeffbnyc macrumors newbie

iNetwork App Inaccurate

I discovered that the native app I'd been using to measure speeds is largely inaccurate. the iNetwork website (the same company as the native app) consistently shows me as having well over 200 K/Sec on 3G (and as high as 325K!), while the app was showing more like 20K consistently. I went to another site iphonespeedtest and the results were fairly consistent. So basically if you were using the inetwork app, don't freak out over it. It's not correct.

24. luckychild macrumors newbie

i in the bronx it works great when outside but in da house it sucks i have to switch to edge.

25. goodcow macrumors 6502a

AT&T is the absolute worst aspect of the iPhone and the 3G speeds are pathetic in New York.