Nylon band fraying?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch Accessories' started by Jeremy12345, Apr 28, 2016.

1. Jeremy12345 macrumors regular

I was just wondering if anyone has this issue? Or is it normal?
    (Some kind of stuff coming out of the bottom of the band)

Attached Files:

2. choreographics macrumors regular

choreographics

The band is made of woven nylon, so I would say it's normal if it stays within reasonable bounds.
    At least you have no problem using the band, bought 4 and returned 3 because the band doesn't lock in place on my watch.

3. Jeremy12345 thread starter macrumors regular

The shorter part of the band is hard to slide in and out compared to the longer bit for some reason

4. ricktat macrumors 65816

I had the black band with the same issue of fibers like that. I returned it because it was also very difficult to install. The Royal Blue that I have now has none of the fiber issues.

5. dwfaust macrumors 68040

dwfaust

I've had both the black and pearl nylon bands for several weeks now and have no issue with either yet. Both slide into the watch connectors smoothly, lock in place securely, and release when I push the button - all as advertised and expected. I have not noticed any fiber shedding at this point, either... but will definitely be watching for it.

6. Binarymix macrumors 6502a

My band has been fraying around the holes and sides where the keeper rubs along the band.

Not sure if I should call apple about it.

My friend says to take a lighter to it, but I don't know about that.

7. Shark5150 macrumors 6502a

Shark5150

It's nylon....

8. dwfaust macrumors 68040

dwfaust

I'd definitely take it back to Apple for a replacement.

9. Jeremy12345 thread starter macrumors regular

10. Jeremy12345, Apr 29, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2016

Jeremy12345 thread starter macrumors regular

EDIT:
    Seems to be falling apart on the sides ??
    (The side of the band)

Attached Files:

11. chuyn macrumors 6502

Thought you said you were going to take it back? If it bugs you this much, just take it back and save yourself the worry/headache. My royal blue doesn't look like that, but then again, it's only a few days old.

12. Jeremy12345 thread starter macrumors regular

Just wondering if anyone is having this issue?
    And I got mine like 3 week ago

13. Binarymix macrumors 6502a

Exactly like mine.

Irritating for $70 CAD

14. Jeremy12345 thread starter macrumors regular

--- Post Merged, Apr 30, 2016 ---
    I think the problem is with the keeper rubbing along the band but $70 for a band I would expect it not to fray so easily.

15. realpras macrumors regular

realpras

I bought the gold apple watch sport with royal blue woven nylon a month ago, and although it didn't fray as bad as yours, it definitely frays on the edges of the band as well as around the hole that I clipped my buckle on, the nylon protrudes a bit. I guess it's a normal wear & tear for woven nylon products but yea it's quite annoying to see.

16. Jeremy12345 thread starter macrumors regular

Pics ?

17. Mac2me, May 2, 2016
    Last edited: May 2, 2016

Mac2me macrumors 6502a

I have a zulu third party nylon band and nylon is not quite like other fabric fibers, being plastic. Typically people will cut nylon threads and seal with the flame of a lighter. I had one thread on my zulu band where the seam was near the watch poking into me, can be quite sharp and annoying, and needed to melt that sharp point down.

Same technique goes for those nylon drawstrings on blinds. You cut them to size and seal with a flame. Even the looped cords...cut to length and hold the two ends together while fusing with heat. Melts together. I imagine for the Woven bands they punch holes in nylon weave for the strap holes and run a heated wire or rod through it to seal all those cut ends.

I think it really is part of the nature of nylon weave to expect some fraying with the band being rubbed against surfaces. Kind of like you have to expect leathers to absorb oils from your skin or stainless steel to get scratches. You can deal with the fraying yourself or maybe it's not something you want to bother with but I expect no matter how you wear a nylon band you are going to see fraying over time. I think Apple states there are 400 threads used? so they are much finer and numerous than the nylon threads on my zulu band.

As for the lighter, you want to do a quick pass as needed. And it is melting plastic so don't touch until it cools off.

18. realpras macrumors regular

realpras

FullSizeRender.jpg FullSizeRender 2.jpg
    You can see the fray on the edge of the longer band and the woven nylon protrudes a bit on the 6th hole from the left. I own this band for a month now.

19. Binarymix macrumors 6502a

This happened to mine after a week.

20. Jeremy12345 thread starter macrumors regular

In the pictures i posted mine was about 2-3 weeks old and also starting to see fraying around the holes

21. blue rocket macrumors 6502

blue rocket

a few threads are pulling up near the clasp holes, but nothing that I wouldn't expect from a Nylon band