Nylon band in the ocean?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch Accessories' started by tl01, May 13, 2018.

1. tl01 macrumors 68020

Has anyone worn the nylon band in the ocean? I wonder how it would hold up to the sand and how it resist getting dirty. I am trying to pick out a band for an incoming vacation and was going to get a nylon band because I like the colors but now I’m thinking that wouldn’t be so good. Maybe just another sport band for the ocean and water slides?

2. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

Nylon should be ok. I wouldn’t bring a sport loop to the beach. Just think sand would get embedded in the material.

I wear a sacrificial sport band. I found it to clean up easier than other bands.

3. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

When a Nylon bands get wet, they take longer to dry out. And especially with salt, I can only imagine that those bands wouldn’t do as well in the ocean. I would suggest one of the sports bands if anything.

4. technole macrumors 6502

technole

5. SL4VE macrumors 6502

I would use a sports rubber band. But I'm sure you're choice will be ok too

6. D.T. macrumors G3

D.T.

I've used a 3rd party nylon band in the ocean in/around the beach (including the boat), and it's zero issue, seriously, it's a piece of nylon just like the material used on other things we use at the beach. Rinse it off occasionally, it takes a touch longer to dry out. What I'd be more concerned about is an Apple Watch at a water park (if that's what you mean by vacation + water slides) , where your arms are flailing around while you're sliding down big tubes and funnels, seems like perfect conditions for it to get damaged.

7. tl01 thread starter macrumors 68020

I have apple care plus and have warm my Apple watches including my series 2 to the water Park before. We have a small water slide and home and I wear it down there all summer long;). No issues yet;).

8. D.T. macrumors G3

D.T.

I mean, I've surfed, SUPed, workout in all sort of varied conditions with my old school S0, but a few of the waterparks I've been to, well, I would've been a little concerned :) Heck, if you're OK with wearing it at all, then you should be worried about a nylon band :D

(... and honestly, when I'm doing something more extreme, especially in the ocean I go with none or one of my dive watches).

9. squirrrl macrumors 6502a

squirrrl

I would be more afraid of all the sand scratching the screen and I would imagine that the nylon would attract more sand after you left the beach than the sport band.

10. tl01 thread starter macrumors 68020

I did a mile long ocean swim with my watch too...that was my series 2.