Nylon Lightening cable

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by XboxMySocks, Jan 7, 2016.

1. XboxMySocks macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

Hey guys! So in having a distinct lack of cables for my phone lying around, I decided it was time for another one to have around the house. I broke a few because I’m a careless person and I decided that I wanted to see if nylon braided ones were actually stronger and more useful.

The one I ended up with was a 'Choetech braided nylon' cable. It arrived in a neat little package from Shenzhen, China (Hey, that's where my phone is from!) and it arrived after 10 days in the post, which for the cheapest shipping option is not bad at all, in my opinion. The package wasn’t overly complex, being in a neat little box which opened without a ridiculous amount of effort which is nice.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also worth noting that this cable is MFI certified, which is a pretty important distinction for me. I won't use a cable unless.

[​IMG]

Opening this box reveals the lone component, the cable itself. Before I’ve even actually unwrapped it from the twist ties, it already feels stronger – just from running my fingers over it. I am a big fan of how they rounded the cable off instead of tying it up tightly at 180 degree angles, like most companies seem to.

[​IMG]

The cable keeps its shape in the slightest way (if I bend it, it keeps the rough shape of the way I bend it) and I like this in fact, this also means that the cable won’t forever keep the shape of the box it came in – in fact, it’s already inclined to lay straight unlike my Apple cables which like to keep twisting and turning themselves up.

[​IMG]

I plugged the cable in and – yep! It works. Phone is charging just fine, as expected. I connected it to my computer and decided to wipe my music off and sync it again just to see if the transfer rate was any lower than what I was used to and… nope. It worked blazing fast, like I would expect.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

For some fun, I decided to try and stress the cable out a little bit. I wrapped it around my fingers and pulled away from the middle. Not only did the cable keep working, but also it didn’t even noticeably stretch as far as I could tell. I also tried to grab both ends from the leads themselves (not the cables) and stretch it that way. No dice. The cable still works fine.

Overall I actually really like this cable and am happy with it. The only 'complaint' really is my fault, in that I would probably get a longer one in the future because I am rather sick of the 1 metre limit (I have an Apple 2m cable and it’s awesome.)

If you’re looking for a new cable and you like braided ones (and how they don’t break!) I’m sure there are lots of options, but I am very happy with the Choetech lightening cable I’ve got!

2. viperGTS macrumors 65816

Neat cable and great review! How much did this cost? :)

3. XboxMySocks thread starter macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

Hey man! Thanks for the kind words. I got a lot of praise for the Tesla Wallet case review I did so I figure I can do that for most things that I get that are relevant here!

The cable retails at $50, apparently but has been on sale at Amazon for quite some time at $10: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0194PHV2G. There's also a 2m variant which I should have gotten, actually.

4. Vicrooloo macrumors regular

5. XboxMySocks thread starter macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

Surprisingly enough it's actually my first one but I think I might go only with these in the future... I like the rough feeling and I like how it doesn't break after 3 seconds :D

And yeah $35 is a bit much, the $10 sale for these right now is pretty sweet, I think. Glad you liked the review and picked up some of these!