Nylon Pry Tool - necessary for upgrade?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ManhattanPrjct, Nov 11, 2011.

1. ManhattanPrjct macrumors 6502

I am about to upgrade the RAM on my 2011 MBP, and I noticed on OWC's videos that this time around they are recommending the temporary removal of the battery connector with a "nylon pry tool." I didn't do this on the 2010 model I had done for a friend and according to him it works just fine.

Assuming it's now necessary to disconnect that connector, do you really need a "nylon pry tool," or is there a household tool/object that would be a serviceable substitute?

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

Something thin and non-conductive will do perfectly fine. Disconnecting the battery isn't necessary, but it's a good idea.

3. ManhattanPrjct thread starter macrumors 6502

Hmm, plastic utensil, perhaps?

4. Ant.honey macrumors regular

5. snaky69 macrumors 603

That would probably work nicely.

6. bobcan macrumors 6502a

bobcan

Not 'necessary' but better.. some folks use a 'crescent wrench' or a pair of pliers in places they shouldn't too!! :rolleyes:

7. Steve's Barber macrumors 6502a

That's just so you don't sue 'em should you have problems. I'm surprised they don't wear safety goggles and have somebody standing by with a fire extinquisher.

It is necessary. Use the handle of a plastic fork. It's not on very tight. Just don't forget to reconnect it again before closing up. :eek:

8. Ccrew macrumors 68020

Silly people. two tools when vice grips will work just fine :)