Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 19, 2013
Obviously, I'd need an adapter, but would these bands that slip through work with Apple Watch? The band itself would slip through and sit between my wrist and the monitor on the back of the watch case.

I figured someone around here would have tried it by now. I just don't want to mess up any fitness tracking as far as calories, steps and standing. Watch band I'm wanting is below.

Kavu-Patterned-Watch-Band-Small-Made-With-Tubular-Webbing-Velcro-Closure-130994556267897708.jpg

melman101

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2009
I'm confused. If this is gonna cover the sensor, no heart rate. So loss of functionality. Also how would you attach it??

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 19, 2013
I'm confused. If this is gonna cover the sensor, no heart rate. So loss of functionality. Also how would you attach it??
They make adapters for bands like this. Also, I wasn't sure if the sensor had to be physically touching your wrist or not to detect a heart rate.

BarracksSi

Suspended
Jul 14, 2015
They make adapters for bands like this. Also, I wasn't sure if the sensor had to be physically touching your wrist or not to detect a heart rate.
It definitely has to touch your skin for HR because it needs to see your skin for the LEDs and optical sensors to do their job.

Whether it needs to see your skin to stay unlocked, or if it can remain unlocked just by resting on the fabric, I don't know.

teidon

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2009
Whether it needs to see your skin to stay unlocked, or if it can remain unlocked just by resting on the fabric, I don't know.
Pretty sure the HR sensor is used for wrist detection.

@OP, you would need to cut that band in two and sew the ends so that you can attach it to the strap adapters. I am currently using one those cheap Nato straps which I modified so I can use it with the watch.

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 19, 2013
Pretty sure the HR sensor is used for wrist detection.

@OP, you would need to cut that band in two and sew the ends so that you can attach it to the strap adapters. I am currently using one those cheap Nato straps which I modified so I can use it with the watch.
Ah, actually didn't think of that mod, which should be easy enough.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.