NYTimes election app uses tons of cellular data?!!

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by Derek87, Oct 4, 2012.

1. Derek87 macrumors 6502

so, i am not 100% certain, but yesterday, i believe in my first real use of the election app on the go, i experienced a huge amount of cellular data usage. in the matter of about 30 minutes of twice loading the election app to look at the blog regarding the debate during my evening commute, i used a whopping 110mb of data on my iphone!

compare to my normal monthly usage of about 300-400mb, this was a shocking revelation.

note: i did not try to play the video streaming of the debate, i was merely looking at the blog commentary, but somehow, i'm thinking that this app has a bug because beyond checking email (which i normally do), i didn't use my phone for anything else.

(and this is consistent too with real time monitoring of my data (i was curious whether my usage was changing since this was the start of a new cycle for me and i wanted to see whether or not with LTE, i have started using more data than previously)

anyone else notice this?

2. Derek87 thread starter macrumors 6502

so, a follow-up:

i wrote the NY Times and go the following response:

Thank you for contacting NYTimes.com.

We apologize for the inconvenience you experienced.

After some research entering into this app will use a large amount of data and it is suggested to use when you can connect to wifi so as not to use so much on your data plan.

We hope this e-mail was helpful.

:eek:

i guess it's good to know it was my imagination and i was correct, but it's shocking that just flipping on the app can cause a 50mb consumption (that's what i'm guessing from my detailed AT&T usage log from yesterday).

oh well, maybe i'll just delete this app from my phone and stick to the normal nytimes app for an election coverage i wish to follow.