NYTimes Ipad App Overpriced... workarounds?

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by whyrichard, Dec 7, 2012.

1. whyrichard macrumors 68000

Hey,

I am a New York Times digital subscriber, and I enjoy the iphone app and web access as well. I admire the NYTs for successfully setting up a paywall as a means to support quality reporting.

HOWEVER, the IPAD APP IS RIDICULOUSLY OVERPRICED!

I am searching for workarounds... for example:

-Is it possible to get the iphone flipboard app on my ipad? This may sound wonky, but I often use my iphone flipboard app to cruise NYT's, save to the fantastic Pocket app, and open Pocket on my ipad to read the NYTimes. If i can get the iphone flipboard app on my ipad then this could work?

-Is there a better way to read the NYTimes on the ipad outside of their overpriced ipad app, and better then their website?

THANKS for any suggestions!

r.

2. ercsliberty macrumors 6502

if you post your paypal info, im sure some people will donate

3. Medic311 macrumors 68000

Medic311

4. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

If you want full digital access, you might as well subscribe to home delivery.

The most basic digital access costs 3.75/week for the website and phone app. You can get home delivery, which includes full digital access, starting at 3.85/week.

I don't know if you can share a full digital subscription either, but you can share when you have home delivery. We get the Sunday paper (which despite not wanting it is honestly quite nice - I read tons of articles in the print version I'd never come across in the digital version).

On the other hand, I rarely use the ipad app.

5. jmccullough108 macrumors 6502a

jmccullough108

The AP news app provides all the world/national/local news I could ever want to read, and it's free.

6. Ashwood11 macrumors 65816

"HOWEVER, the IPAD APP IS RIDICULOUSLY OVERPRICED!"

It's free?

7. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

The app itself is free to download, but in order to use it, you have to pay a subscription price.

8. Ashwood11 macrumors 65816

I'm aware of that, but they complained about the price of the app. They are trying to get the content for free. How long will NY Times publish the online version if they do not get compensated?

9. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

I don't think it's excessive that someone who is already a digital subscriber to a publication should expect that they should get the same access whether through the web or through an app. I am also a subscriber, but it is blatantly obvious that the NYT's subscription model is crafted to prop up paper subscription numbers.

If I am going to pay extra for app access, it'd better be damn good, and the NYT app is terrible.

10. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

No, they are saying that if they paid $X to see the content on their phone, then why do they have to pay another $X to see it on their tablet? I forget the exact pricing, but basically, getting tablet access + phone access doubles your bill. That, to me, feels like price gouging.

11. AppleRobert macrumors 603

Guess I owe you one. The app is free and AWESOME as well.