NYU Film School Recommended Purchases

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Pad18, Oct 21, 2007.

1. Pad18 macrumors member

Any brand of a Mini-DV camera with:

· Firewire Connections

· XLR Audio Inputs

· 3-CCD Imaging Chips

· Manual focus, exposure (iris) and audio levels.

· Additional manual controls for shutter speed and white balance are a plus.

Which video cameras might fit this description?

2. -DH macrumors 65816

What's your budget? Are you considering new only, or used as well?

-DH

3. Pad18 thread starter macrumors member

Hmm...well on the website it says anything under $3,500 will be un-pro but i don't want to believe that lol....i guess my budget will have to be on the cheaper side (Around $2,000, but if something cheap fits the requirements that will work too =)).

4. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

The DVX100b is as good as it gets around that price range. A new one can be had at around 2600. Used you can find on www.dvxuser.com.

There is also the Canon Xh-1 (I think thats the name), it's an HD camcorder around the $3500 price range.

Those are 2 good camcorders I'd get if I had the $.

5. Pad18 thread starter macrumors member

6. -DH macrumors 65816

I'll second the DVX100B recommendation. Probably the best prosumer DV camcorder ever made. Yes, it does have two XLR inputs, switchable manual/auto focus and iris control and 3 CCD chips. If you want or need something more professional, you'll be looking at shoulder mounted cameras ... start with JVC's GY-DV5000. Larger chips and a 'real' camera lens.

-DH

7. fart macrumors regular

while most film majors have a nerdgasm over the DVX series, I'd recommend the Sony Z1 or the Canon A1, even if it's a used model. At this point in the game, there is no reason to put any money in SD equipment. If you're mainly doing film style (ie: controlled lighting) go with the A1, but if you're doing any docu work, take a look at the Z1. I've cut footage from both cameras, and the Z1 tends to be better in low light. The A1 will get you 24f, which is close enough to 24p, IMO.

Everyone will get all up about the "film look", which is overrrated, IMO. An HD camera with well though out lighting will negate any "film look" setting on the camera.

8. CHROMEDOME macrumors regular

9. MacHipster macrumors 6502

10. SkAlex macrumors member

From a current Tischie

Whoa whoa hold up for a second. As a current (soon to be outgoing) Tisch film student, I would certainly recommend holding off purchasing a camera right now. You definitely don't NEED a camera at Tisch.

If you're enrolled in a production class, you get access to whatever equipment you need for that class. Now that can be anything from an SLR to some HD and super-16 rigs(even one 35mm, I believe), depending on the level of the class. Now, if you really WANT a camera, I think those basic requirements are there as a general guide to get equipment of the same general quality as those that you will be using at school.

Now if you're still fixed on buying a camera, Tisch uses some aging Sony PD150's for some of the lower level classes, a couple of DVX's and now an increasing amount of HVX-200's, the DVX's HD bigger brother. Most of the students that come in to Tisch come in thinking they want to be a writer/director and by the end of four years find a more specific interest; editing, writing, Producing, art direction... all of which having your own camera is pretty unnecessary for.

Hope this helps a bit.

11. MacHipster macrumors 6502

That's what I thought. Why buy a video camera when you can use a real film camera? Not to sound like a film snob, but it's free and it's better.

12. fart macrumors regular

I third that, you don't need to purchase a camera for film school, equipment rental fees are included in the obscene amount of money you're already paying the institution every semester.