NZB Drop Help

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jaded-mandarin, Jan 25, 2008.

1. jaded-mandarin macrumors regular

I've been using Unison's trial, and it's just expired. I don't really want to buy it as it doesn't support multiple connections.

So i downloaded NZB Drop, which does support multiple connections.

I go to preferences, and enter the following information:

[​IMG]

I'm unsure as to what to put for the description, but I'm certain that this is only a label for the program, by which you can recognize it, and it doesn't actually have anything to do with your newshosting.com account.

So after that, I open up a .NZB, and I get the following message:

[​IMG]

On the NZB Drop website, it says:

Server name? Is that my "unlimited.newshosting.com"?

Any help welcome, thanks in advance.

2. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

You were right, description is just a label. Call it what you like.

3. jaded-mandarin thread starter macrumors regular

That's what I expected, which is bad news, as I'm no closer to the problem.

:(

4. qwerty2k macrumors regular

i didnt like nzbdrop, it was very resource hungry in my experience, it made my 2.2ghz MB (sr) lag.

5. jaded-mandarin thread starter macrumors regular

Hmmm, are there any applications, other than Unison, which you'd recommend? Preferably which have the ability to choose the amount of connections you have.

Thanks.

6. Ol!ver macrumors 6502a

I'm a former newsleecher user and I'm really not getting on with Unison. Not just the connections limitation, but I also don't get on with the multiple window way of working.

7. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

NZBDrop works pretty well with Giganews. For me it feels pretty lightweight although if I open activity monitor I can see it being a little nutty with the CPU usage...Newsleecher did the same thing on XP, though. Nature of the beast.

Can always try Sabnzbd (or whatever it's called).

There unfortunately is no replacement for Newsleecher on OS X...I miss smart select and supersearch.

8. maestrokev macrumors 6502a

maestrokev

I've had pretty good experiences with NZBDrop and Giganews too. I use an external FW800 HD as the download location and it doesn't appear to slow down my iMac 2.8 as much. The memory usage is ok, it's the disk activity that bogs down my system.

9. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

I have the impression that Unison is much faster than NZB Drop? Has anybody else noticed that? I am using Giganews and Unison seems more stable and fast...

10. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

For me there is no better Usenet binary downloader than Sabnzbd

Not only does it work better for me than any other program I've tried but it is open source freeware.

11. jonm17 macrumors newbie

Sabnzbd help

hey guys, sorry this is my first post ever on a forum hahaha. and im not sure if im budding in on this other guys question but I couldn't find a way to bring up my own topic. Basically i use Sabnzbd and im trying to download a game but the download never seems to start. i get a bunch of warnings saying:
    Connections

http://www.news.astraweb.com/:119: 0
    Thread #1 -> part1of12.AGhcrYEnBdkuxxGqs4gT@powerpost2000AA.local -> mdough-nbalive10.vol000+01.PAR2 NBA LIVE 10 NTSC USA - RETAIL - MDOUGH -> NBA LIVE 10 NTSC RETAIL XBOX360 MDOUGHVERIFIED.nzb
    http://nzbmatrix.com/index.php:119: 0
    Thread #1 -> part1of23.G3s2j4YglDvwjc3b0SpQ@powerpost2000AA.local -> mdough-nbalive10.vol001+02.PAR2 NBA LIVE 10 NTSC USA - RETAIL - MDOUGH -> NBA LIVE 10 NTSC RETAIL XBOX360 MDOUGHVERIFIED.nzb
    Last warnings (clear)

2009-10-05 17:48:02,986 WARNING [downloader] No active primary servers defined, will not download!
    2009-10-05 17:50:37,337 ERROR [newswrapper] Failed to connect: (60, 'Operation timed out') 1@http://www.news.astraweb.com/:119
    2009-10-05 17:51:57,367 ERROR [newswrapper] Failed to connect: (60, 'Operation timed out') 1@http://www.news.astraweb.com/:119
    2009-10-05 17:54:26,662 ERROR [newswrapper] Failed to connect: (61, 'Connection refused') 1@http://www.news.astraweb.com/:119

I figure this is due to the server information i put in, but im not really sure what i did wrong. any thoughts would be very much appreciated, thanks

12. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

The first thing you did wrong was to seek advice on downloading pirated software in these forums.

As for SABNZBD you've entered Astraweb's website address, not the address of their NNTP server.