O.O.B 1.1.2 bought in US, will it work with an O2 sim?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SamNeeds, Dec 28, 2007.

1. SamNeeds macrumors regular

Evening all,

I've recently purchased a 1.1.2 iPhone while in the US. Unfortunately for me 1.1.2 has proven rather tricky for anyone to unlock!

Is it possible to activate the iPhone i've got (US 1.1.2) onto O2? So far I can't see that I can. All I'm getting is an incorrect SIM message on the phone and in iTunes.

Please advise!

Cheers,
    Sam.

2. spinstorm macrumors 65816

we had a debate on this recently!

You cannot activate any random O2 sim. It has to be an inactivated O2 iphone sim.

If you get one of these (which would be very hard) then maybe you can activate it. I personally think it would work!

The only way I can think of to test this is go buy a UK iPhone and put the unactivated SIM in the US phone. If it works then just put a PAYG SIM in the iPhone when you return it to get your money back.

3. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48a Safari/419.3)

So you are suggesting that he steals the sim card from the U.K. iPhone before he returns it?

4. spinstorm macrumors 65816

Yes I am!

Although it hurts neither O2 or Apple as they destroy ALL SIM cards in returned phones immediately and O2 still get a contract.

IF IT WORKS - it may not but worth a shot!

5. pranavss11 macrumors 6502

Yes it works. Talked to Apple tech support about this for 2 hours. just need a contractual sim from O2

6. SamNeeds thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks all for your input. However, I will not be going to O2 anymore. I had intended to switch over to O2 in a few months and do it legally. However, while on the phone to them yesterday (3 seperate calls) they were totally useless. One of them even hung up! And I was just asking what the process was for transferring me over from Vodafone to O2. I left O2 exactly because of this - crap customer support.

Seems I'll have to wait until 1.1.3 is out before I do anything with my iPhone.