o2 3g iphone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 645ci, Jun 28, 2008.

1. 645ci macrumors member

Ok so the pay as you go is at £299

Is it possible to unlock this with current unlocking methods as i have an o2 contract sim card....

Thank you so much i did try searching but there was hell of alot to go through :(

Thank you so much fo rall help and advice given :)

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Why not go onto an iPhone tariff? That'll be cheaper/easier...

3. jimN macrumors 6502a

jimN

No one knows as yet. The unlocking effort will likely be hindered by the fact that it's going to be very hard to buy a phone without a contract therefore there'll be fewer people working to achieve this.

I'm sure that given time a simple unlocking solution will arise, but it will most likely be a after the phone has been out for a few weeks at least.

4. philgilder macrumors 68000

you dont need to pay a cancellation fee in order to go on the iphone contract, you may as well go on it - it will turn out cheaper than buying a payg and then going on another contract

5. TonyHoyle macrumors 6502a

You do have to pay to the end of your contract period if not on an iphone contract.

O2 are only allowing current iphone customers to upgrade their phones early - from http://www.o2.co.uk/iphone/paymonthly:

"Existing iPhone customers upgrade to iPhone for free"

and

"Existing O2 customers can also switch to iPhone. We'll contact you when you're eligible for an upgrade and talk you through the best options."

The payG may in that case end up cheaper... but as there are no unlocks it's a moot point at the moment. Unlock will happen.. but it could be anything from weeks to months.

6. 645ci thread starter macrumors member

Hi,

I allready have an o2 contract and have 8 months to go, however the 8months a free line rental so im not too fussed.

Im just wondering if i can buy a payg phone and use my current o2 contract in there/

7. TonyHoyle macrumors 6502a

It might work.. it depends on how locked down the phones are - they may be locked to the payg sims or they may allow any O2 sim.

OTOH you lose the 6 months free data if you do that and would need a data plan anyway, so it's not a cost-free option.

I presume as you were able to get free line rental out of them you're a heavy user... try giving cancellations a call and see if they can work out a deal for you. They bend over backwards for their more profitable customers.

8. philgilder macrumors 68000

well that sucks. oh well, my contract runs out today... :cool:

9. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

Current unlock methods have not worked since the beta 3 2.0 firmware. I'm sure it won't be long after release for someone to figure it out though.

10. Souljas macrumors regular

just a quick question....

for the current 2g iphone, if I was to have purchased a contract with o2 and at the end of 18 months I didnt want to renew the contract, is it not possible insert a 'pay as you go' simcard inside the iphone with a data bolton and use the phone like that?

11. TonyHoyle macrumors 6502a

The O2 website says that it's possible. OTOH the 2g phone is simple to unlock anyway.

12. monkeydust macrumors member

i wouldnt bother going onto pay as you go with the iphone anyways.
    becuase of the data thats is used you WILL need a data plan.

the wi-fi and data are both extra bolt ons.

so theres £15 ust for free wi-fi and data
    then you have your texts and minutes to think about.

plus the cost of the phone £300 or £500 8gb 16gb respectively.
    you may aswell just lower your current contract to its lowest price and get the iphone on a iPhone contract.

i cant see any reason why you couldnt use it with your current contract until it runs out however you would need to buy the phone so your looking at atleast £300.

13. TonyHoyle macrumors 6502a

PayG can be a *lot* cheaper than contract if your usage pattern fits it. For a 2G phone there's also the opportunity to unlock it and go with other carriers and select a better deal. Less so for the 3G... you're stuck with O2.. but with a little creativity you can save a lot.

If he's already got the 2G iphone and is nearing the end of his contract (which is what is sounds like, since you can't buy the 2G any more) continuing to pay for minutes he isn't using just doesn't make sense.

btw. the 16gb iphone does not cost £200 more than the 8gb. It cost £60 more.