Carrier O2 actually charging £1250 for XS Max

drpellypo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 19, 2007
Northumberland, UK
Just noticed my upgrade paperwork states the handset cost is £1250, not £1099. Has this always been the case, that they spread the cost of the device over x amount of years interest free, but actually charge more for the handset than Apple do buying it outright?

anubis1980

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2012
Just noticed my upgrade paperwork states the handset cost is £1250, not £1099. Has this always been the case, that they spread the cost of the device over x amount of years interest free, but actually charge more for the handset than Apple do buying it outright?
I’m sure some places charge “tax” on it. Some places don’t. That’s why i buy on an interest free credit card from apple and then pay it back over two years , cheaper that way and you can sell up and upgrade whenever you want just need to sell the old phone.

balaplus

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2017
Of course O2 always charges extra for the device for the convenience of monthly payments

flipshot

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2007
Hertfordshire, UK
Have they always done this? I legitimately never noticed in the past and I've had 6 iPhones from them!
They have always done it but the prices vary depending on the upfront and monthly payment amounts. You could sometimes get pretty much the Apple price with a higher upfront amount.

craigio85

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Maybe it’s the first time you’ve seen the actual cost of the device explicitly stated but it’s certainly not new that you overpay for the phone itself on an all-in contract.

You only need to compare how much you could get the same price plan for as a SIM only then multiply the difference by the number of months to see how much you’re actually paying for the device.

drpellypo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 19, 2007
Northumberland, UK
Maybe it’s the first time you’ve seen the actual cost of the device explicitly stated but it’s certainly not new that you overpay for the phone itself on an all-in contract.

You only need to compare how much you could get the same price plan for as a SIM only then multiply the difference by the number of months to see how much you’re actually paying for the device.
Bah I haven’t got time for that. Haha. Just clicked upgrade. Job done.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.