O2 Adds SIM Application Menu To iPhone

zed2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2004
Bucks
I'm sure I saw "sim Applications" on a US iphone... does any one know what they might be?

koobcamuk

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
crap article said:
Also, the rumor confirms that the new firmware v1.1.2 does indeed brick unlocked iPhones.
Lol
Just like the powerbook G5 was confirmed. :rolleyes:

zed2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2004
Bucks
I think they are just posting about the iphone to increase hits to their site. They have nothing new to say.

TonyHoyle

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2007
Manchester, UK
People throw the term 'brick' around far too loosely these days.. Brick == Only useful as a brick, or in technical terms nothing is going to revive it short of JTAG.

Apple firmware updates deactivate phones, they don't brick them... the OS is still running just fine. Depending on how you unlocked maybe even the SIM still works - all that's required is to figure out the activation.

Hellenek

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2007
Interesting. I have 1.1.1 as well, it only has Setting>phone>SIM pin. What's in the SIM applications menu?
I can also access SIM applications on my unlocked iPhone. SIM apps are services your telecom provider adds to give you access to different types of information which you tend to receive by SMS. Of course the more services you use, the more SMSes you send and the more money they earn. Something like that...

TonyHoyle

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2007
Manchester, UK
SIM Applications comes from the SIM. It's a bunch of builtin menus that enable stuff... generally it's texts for news headlines, jokes and stuff. It's a *really* old system - predates smartphones etc. - it was designed to add features to phones that had little memory or processor, back in the day when even WAP was very expensive.

I have
My Vodefone
Sport
News&Weather
Travel&Locate
Horoscopes
Naughty
Entertainment
Chat&Fun
Services&Help

Each of these goes to a submenu eg.
Services&Help goes to:
Customer Care
Directory Enqs
Text Bureau
Voicemail
Reverse Charge Call
Prices
Voda Stores

When you get to the end of the menu tree it sends a text.

'Voda Stores' literally just sent me the following

"U R Nr Pendleton Stn Nrby Vodafone Shops"

And a list of shops.

As you can see due to the text limits of SMS it's kinda wierd..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.