O2 Allowing existing customers to BECOME iphone customers

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by barryallott, Jul 10, 2008.

1. barryallott macrumors member

So finally the O2 page is open to allow existing customers which are not at the end of thier contract to switch to an iphone tariff, all you need to do is get a 2nd hand iPhone (ebay) either v1 or 3G. (I have been told by O2 that if you get one locked you will need to activate it through iTunes as an existing customer, they said that you will need an iPhone orig sold by O2. Now I cannot check this but the form to ask to change to an iPhone tariff asks for no details about the iPhone you have bought so you can swap to an iPhone tariff and then just buy and use an unlocked iPhone! WOOT!

page to transfer your tariff to an iPhone tarrif is located at:

http://service.o2.co.uk/IQ/SRVS/CGI...ond hand iPhone,question=ref(User):str(Mobile)

click on 'Pay monthly' then the question 'I’m a O2 Pay Monthly customer and have been given an original iPhone, what are my options?' then there is a link 'Transfer tariff form'.

So although you WILL have to pay more upfront (to get the iPhone off ebay) the length of your contract does NOT change and so you might even finish your contract in time for the next iPhone! :)

2. TonyHoyle macrumors 6502a

Must try that - I tried it the other day and it didn't work, but that was before itunes 7.7 was official.

3. raymanster macrumors regular

raymanster

Just read that website, it says that if you're an existing O2 customer you don't have to transfer to an iPhone tariff:

"If you don't want to change to an iPhone tariff or are unable to change because you're on a 12 or 24 month contract, then provided you are on one of our current tariffs you can opt to add the Unlimited Web Bolt On and Unlimited Wifi Bolt-On to your account.

You won’t have full functionality of all iPhone features such as Visual Voicemail and Call Merging. You should contact customer service to switch your MMS notifications on, otherwise you will not get any notification that you've been sent an MMS."

Does anyone know if I'm an existing O2 simplicity customer, can I use my existing SIM in a 2G iPhone? Or does O2 need to send me another SIM?

4. TonyHoyle macrumors 6502a

Doesn't look like it works yet.

Put O2 PayG SIM in - get 'The SIM card inserted... does not appear to be a supported O2 SIM card'.

I'll try the Simplicity just in case.

Edit: Tried simplicity, it just tried to put me on an 18 month contract. No thanks.

5. barryallott thread starter macrumors member

If you have a 2G iPhone then just unlock it and you can use what ever sim you want.

6. TonyHoyle macrumors 6502a

..not if you want to use the 2.0 software, you can't.

If O2 are letting people become 'legit' it saves a lot of hassle. I'd put my old phone on PayG and give it to the wife.

7. raymanster macrumors regular

raymanster

My iPhone is currently unlocked, if I can go legit but stay on my £25 existing O2 simplicity that would be perfect. Then I can upgrade to the latest 2.0 straightaway and hold off on the new 3G iPhone until the 32 GB is released.

But if I have to scrap my Simplicity contract and sign up to a new 18 month contract then forget it, I might as well get a new 3G iPhone now or wait a few weeks till someone hacks 2.0.

8. barryallott thread starter macrumors member

It WONT BE WEEKS!!!! check the iphonedevteam blog. there a building up to a new release of thier unlocking software. MARK my words, the iphone v2.0 and 3g iphone will be unlocked before the weekend is OUT.

9. raymanster macrumors regular

raymanster

Perhaps we need to wait for 2.0 firmware first?

10. barryallott thread starter macrumors member

I would say so yes.

11. raymanster macrumors regular

raymanster

That's good news!! :D

12. TonyHoyle macrumors 6502a

Had it for ages, if it's true that the 3G is shipping with the same build as beta8.

It looks like itunes pulls its registration pages off the web somewhere and those haven't been updated yet - they're the same as the ones for the old signup.

My PayG SIM appears to be broken, which throws the results off somewhat (I put it in my nokia and it failed to register - probably been killed after several months in a drawer). I'll have to pick up another.

13. raymanster macrumors regular

raymanster

I'll let you try it first! I don't want to upgrade to 2.0 then find I can't use it and be iPhone-less for a while.

14. TonyHoyle macrumors 6502a

Meh. At most it's a day or two, and anyway going back to 1.1.4 and unlocking again isn't exactly hard.

15. TonyHoyle macrumors 6502a

OK went out and picked up a new SIM.

Worked first time.. had to agree to a EULA but it activated the phone and started to sync it straight away.

Now to see what all the apps do :p