O2 and end of contract in Jan..

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Wavell, Jun 11, 2009.

1. Wavell macrumors regular

Wavell

What I want to know is.. if I keep my 3G phone until the end of my O2 contract in January 2010.. would I be entitled to it being unlocked for use on another network ? (I believe so...)
    :)

2. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

No. Unfortunately, O2 have no obligation to unlock your iPhone when the contract ends.

3. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Unfortunately not - O2's Ts & Cs explicitly state that the iPhone can't be unlocked at the end of the contract:

Sorry for the Caps, but this is how it is presented in their Ts & Cs - I guess they don't want any confusion arising :)

Edit
    Actually, this may be changing for the iPhone 3G - the section above was from their Ts & Cs for the iPhone 2G. I've just double checked and their current Ts & Cs for mobile phones including the iPhone 3G have the following paragraph 5.8

Looks like there may be some mileage in getting 3Gs unlocked...

4. Wavell thread starter macrumors regular

Wavell

aaahhhh.. should be interesting then.. thanks for the replies guys :)

Personally, I see no reason why they shouldn't unlock a phone if it's outside the contract. I think it would be pretty unethical of them not to do so if it's requested.

5. ryanwarsaw macrumors 68000

ryanwarsaw

I spoke with 02 awhile back and the rep on the phone told me it was being heavily discussed. I think 02 will be under more pressure to do so as they are demanding that people buy out their contracts to upgrade. This will mean a lot of people who are out of contract realising how ridiculous their policy is. Hopefully 02 will decide to do the right thing at that point.