O2 and False Activation

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by RossoA, Sep 25, 2007.

1. RossoA macrumors 6502

RossoA

Hi there, I've heard so much and all it has done is confuse me about the whole situation!

If I buy an iPhone on Nov. 9 like I plan to, and bring it home, if I use Independence to Activate it, then put an O2 SIM card in, would it still work as a phone/VV etc?

Thanks for the help.

2. Leemo macrumors 6502

Leemo

No you'd need to fully unlock it to use it with another sim card.

-Leemo

3. draperm25 macrumors regular

draperm25

4. nwlondonlad macrumors 6502a

nwlondonlad

Sorry guys, the Iphone is locked down to the Sim card that comes with it when you buy it. If you could pop any O2 Sim card in then most people would just take out a pay as you go or Pay monthly Sim only option (for example O2 do a £35 a month for 1200 Min's and 1000 texts Sim only option).

The way I understand it is that if your already an existing O2 contract customer and want to switch to their new iphone tariff, then they will issue u with a new 'Iphone O2 sim' and have your existing number transferred to it.
    Gosh that means you would need to hack/unlock your iphone just to use it on any other O2 non iphone tariff. Ridiculous

5. dodonutter macrumors regular

I wanted to know this too seeing as i'm an O2 customer at the moment, bit crap you have to unlock it to even work with another SIM from the same carrier.

I heard AT&T would start a contract again if you bought an iPhone...i.e. if you just bought a subsidised phone on a 2 year contract then 3 months later bought an iPhone they would just start your 2 year contract again under the iPhone contract and you wouldn't end up with 2, 2-year contracts. I dunno if thats true but does anyone know if O2 would do the same cos it really doesn't sound like something they would do. In which case i would have to wait til april anyway so mite as well wait for iPhone updates and get the latest and greatest..