O2 and Vodaphone to share networks

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by netdog, Mar 13, 2009.

1. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

According to the papers in London yesterday, O2 and Vodaphone are entering into an agreement to share their networks.

Definitely very good news for UK iPhone users in my opinion, at least for the ones that aren't unlocked and with another network.

2. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

Surprised no one else cares. From what I've seen Vodafone are the only network (in my area at least) who get better signal than o2 so this would make me :)

3. Grasbak macrumors 6502

If that's true it would be truly amazing!

Vodafone have just put a 3g mast up near my workplace where there is no o2 3g.

I was saying to a colleague this very morning 'why don't they share'!!!!

4. professor peach macrumors newbie

By the looks of it, it's only a radio network sharing agreement, which means that you still wont be able to get on the Vodafone network using an O2 iPhone.

Shame, as I personally reckon that VF is a much better network.

5. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

Well, Voda SIMs Work in O2 Phones Already (Not Sure about iPhone) so it makes sense, Dont think Voda are better than O2 in my Area, but more options are always better.

6. RandomKamikaze macrumors 6502a

RandomKamikaze

Only if the O2 device is unlocked

7. icantbelieveit macrumors member

Good news for UK iPhone users- O2/Vodafone sharing

http://www.mobileeurope.co.uk/news_...nd_Telefonica_O2_confirm_network_sharing.html

Great news as I've heard Vodafone has great 3G service around the UK :D

8. Kardashian macrumors 68020

Kardashian

So, does this mean that in my Fathers' house in Wales, where there's better Voda signal than O2, that my quality will be improved because I work off Voda's masts etc?

9. robpow macrumors regular

robpow

Not automatically as they won't be sharing 3G bandwidth, only the backend infrastructure. What they could do is to set up an O2 cell in existing Vodafone sites.

Matt

10. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

So Voda have a good 3G network in the UK? Huh, the exact polar opposite to here.

Voda and 3 (Hutchison) are merging though so things are looking up for them. Now, 3 uses Telstra's 2100MHz 3G network but as soon as you go off 3G you roam on Telstra's 2G network at $1.65 per megabyte so I guess Voda wants 3's 3G network and 3 wants Voda's GPRS network to give them a more affordable option when away from 3G.

Voda is definitely on the merger warpath.

11. Bye Bye Baby macrumors 65816

Bye Bye Baby

Bring it to Italy as well. Italians are crazy about heir mobiles

12. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

No, but what it should mean is that although you wont get a vodafone signal on your iphone, you wont be using their network, it does mean that vodafone and o2 networks will now be equal in strengh and coverage as the hardware transmitting their seperate signals are identical. Anywhere there was good vodafone coverage before, but bad o2, will now be good o2 too! :D:D:D

13. m477h3w macrumors 6502

Sweeeeeeeeet!!! This is all positive news. Any idea when we may start to see the benifits of this?

14. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

This reminded me of the shared network between AT&T and Cingular before they merged.

Merge on the horizon?

15. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

My guess is it's a software change, there will be little to no physical changes needed, it really depends on how ready they are, in theory it could be within a week or two, but realistically, it's going to be a couple of months to do testing and a staged rollout.

16. m477h3w macrumors 6502

I hope you're right, the sooner the better I say, 3G signal is soooo hit and miss round these parts :rolleyes:

17. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Voda is hopeless over here too. I don't think we have as many choices as you guys do as there are only two networks in action, and they're not compatible with each other. Currently CDMA is the way to go, it has the best coverage and fastest speeds. The biggest downside to that is if you want to roam in Australia or Europe, as they don't have CDMA networks.

18. garybUK Guest

garybUK

No, Telefonica and Vodafone are too big to merge, it wouldn't be allowed under competition.

Three and T-Mobile ALREADY do the same thing in the UK.

19. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

I know, I work on the edge of Bristol, according to O2's coverage map, I'm well within the boundary of their highest signal strengh, 3G video calling capable, I get edge only, not even 1 bar of 3G (when I'm outside the building, inside I get 1-2 bars best)

20. m477h3w macrumors 6502

Yes I noticed you live in Weston :D I work in Avonmouth and I get 5 bars of 3G just outside the building, inside though only 1 if I'm lucky, or it drops to good old GPRS :rolleyes:

21. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Very good news indeed. I've always thought Vodafone had the best network, but with the two combined both should be excellent.

22. The Phazer macrumors 68030

23. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

Even the press release on O2's site said about 2G 3G sharing, that's really ambiguous from voda/o2, damn them
    Just going to have to hope for a better antaenna in the next iphone instead then...

24. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk