o2 & BT Openzone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by appledrone, Jul 18, 2008.

1. appledrone macrumors regular

I am sure that I read somewhere that we got unlimited access to BT openzones with iphone contracts.

My local pub has a bt openzone wireless signal which i can join without a password but nothing loads in safari, apps etc - any ideas?

2. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Yes, correct, free wifi with BT Openzone.

I have been able to access the BT Openzone hotspots with no trouble at all. (London)
    In fact, 'd go so far to say it works a lot better than "The Cloud" network…

Are you at an actual BT Openzone or one of their "partners"?
    Apparently the free wifi only extends to actual BT Openzone locations (If that makes any sense. :eek:)
    Maybe have a look here and see if your location is listed?

3. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

I forgot that the first time you use it you're prompted for you mobile number - I was trying to get my VPN to connect but obviously that wasn't going to happen. I opened up Safari and went to Google and, boing, up came the screen asking for my iPhone mobile number. I popped that in and it all started working great :)

4. sadsack macrumors member

It ben available since start of last week and prior to iphone 3g launch. It is pretty fast and probabaly better than cloud. I did notice one thing though, if you have used cloud or BT Openzone via a previous iphone (1st generation), it will recognise this and ask you to register your new phone via text. It states this can take up to an hour, which it did for me whilst i was shopping. However, once it moves your identity over to your new pone - you will be up an running.

5. jdavtz macrumors 6502a

It worked perfectly for me in Edinburgh 5 days ago - just a minute or so wait after entering my mobile number then everything was good.

(On an original iPhone)

6. memesmith macrumors regular

I've had it working too, though after I upgraded the firmware I had to re-register it, but that was only a couple of minutes wait. I doesn't appear to work with BTopenzone/Fon sites though ... which I guess is fair

7. Chris Bangle macrumors 6502a

Bluewater has openzone, maybe it was starbucks becuase i was on a bench outisde there

8. GR33NIE macrumors 6502

Didnt realiase how many there was near me, might come in handy one day! :)

9. appledrone thread starter macrumors regular

Can anyone clarify on the 'bt fon' part? I think the pubs openzone is just their own wifi but they have two signals, one is locked and is called 'stuarts wifi and the other is unlocked called bt openzone. I have bt broadband, would that entitle me to use this 'fon' thing?

10. LostLogik macrumors 6502a

yes, as long as you've signed up to Fon. I've the Total Broadband package and get access at all Openzone Fon sites.

11. appledrone thread starter macrumors regular

what is fon?

12. skp574 macrumors 6502

I'm going to have to try connecting to BT OZ Hotspots again. I never got this working with my original iPhone. I got redirected to the BT landing page, selected O2 as the provider then entered my number, but could never get any further, just came up with an error and wouldn't authorise.

I have found some Cloud sites to be a bit hit and miss in Central London, such as mainline railway stations, they don't always work.

Would love to get connected to BTOZs

13. appledrone thread starter macrumors regular

just in case anyone else wanted to know:

Follow the steps below to connect to the Internet through BT FON/openzone using an iPhone or an iPod Touch.

In the Settings >Wi-Fi Networks menu on your device, choose BT Openzone.
    When the device has associated with the BT Openzone SSID, click the arrow next to the BT Openzone entry. This shows the detailed settings for the connection.
    Select the DNS section of the details shown. The DNS section will list three IP addresses: 10.xx.xx.xx, 192.168.22.22, 192.168.22.23
    Scroll back through the list by dragging your finger across the screen and delete the initial 10.xx.xx.xx address.
    Check the DNS section entry is set to 192.168.22.22, 192.168.22.23 (There should be no space at the beginning of the entry.)
    Return to the main screen and enter the Safari browser. Navigating to any Internet URL will redirect to the BT FON landing page. Follow the instructions to log in and connect to the Internet.