O2 Cannot enable MMS for 3.0 users!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ajthomason, Apr 8, 2009.

1. ajthomason macrumors 6502

So, like a lot of other Devs, I have installed 3.0b2 (legally!) on my iPhone 3G and have been wanting to play around with MMS and tethering - so I installed the carrier update file to enable them and then set about getting O2 to activate MMS on my account so it will send/receive them...

At first I emailed them saying that I was lending my iPhone to a friend for a couple of days and needed MMS on my temporary phone because it had no email (I only did this because there were loads of reports about O2 refusing to activate it if you were just trying to use a jailbroken iPhone), and I got an email back asking what the other phone was - so I just said it was my old phone.

Without explanation, I got an another email telling me to phone O2s data support team and go through the problem with them, which I did and I got put through to a very helpful woman who tried to do it and was as shocked as I was when she found that the option had just disappeared and she could physically not do it any more on iPhone plans.

And that's the end of it - as far as she could tell from talking to someone else, the option to enable MMS has just vanished and it cannot be done no matter how long you spend convincing them to do it...

If anyone else has success with O2 or has had recently, please let me know - I really don't see why they would care though. They will be gaining money by letting us send MMS messages.

Oh well...

2. AppleMan940 macrumors member

Hi,

I'm a PAYG customer not contract, maybe that's your problem. I imported contacts from SIM which has the number for boltons. Called that number and was told to "press 3 for MMS enabling".

That's all I did - and today.

3. synagence macrumors 6502a

Suppose you could get a free Pay n Go sim and test with that ... assuming you just wanna test

4. ajthomason thread starter macrumors 6502

I am on contract, but I'd still appreciate it if you could post the number - anything is worth a shot!

EDIT: Found it, only gives me options to sign up for 'Bluebook' and get tickets for the O2.

5. sallythemac Guest

I had the exact same convo today with o2 - the representative said the option had disappeared, then went to clarify if there was a workaround. She said that enabling MMS had had adverse effects on other SIM settings for the iPhone, and therefore had been removed. She said she didn't forsee the option returning due to the 3.0 update coming soon, and advised it wouldn't be an option until that time.

6. ajthomason thread starter macrumors 6502

What adds to the fun is that now I get a text every day at 9AM from O2 telling me that enabling MMS failed and I have to phone customer services. I did it if only to get them to stop sending texts and waking me up (;)) and after about 2 hours got a call back telling me that she had tried everything and there is no way for them to stop sending me texts about it...

It's great - O2 can't even control their computers and get them to stop sending me text messages! :confused:

If it keeps happening, I'm supposed to get them to cancel my SIM and send me a new one to see if that does anything.

Yay for O2! :D

7. DenniZ macrumors 6502a

I have done it

Right, I like my phones, i have a G1, Nokia 5800 and iPhone + 3G one as well. I called O2 customer services, said could I get change my tariff as I don't use my iPhone anymore, literallly within 10 seconds I got switched over to another tariff ( the same price per month). What happens is my texts got doubled, you lose the free wifi and unlimited internet, and get the same amount of minutes. On the plus side like any other normal O2 contract, thus choosing free unlimited internet. The next day I was able to receive MMS on my Nokia 5800.

NB.... Watch out, any MMS you receive on the iPhone will not be registered (On 2.2.1). You need to check bluebook for your MMS messages.