O2 carrier update 7.3 brings internet tethering.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by WeegieMac, Jul 18, 2010.

1. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

I posted this in the UK iPhone thread, but just incase anyone from the UK doesn't use that thread, I thought I'd post a main thread regarding this.

Tonight I was prompted to update my carrier settings while simply sitting browsing the web on my iPhone, I wasn't connected to iTunes.

From what I can see, it's added the option for Internet Tethering. I tried it on my SIM free iPhone 4 running on O2 Unlimited with two months of my free data and WiFi bolt on remaining (carried over from my 3G bought in Sept 2009).

I don't remember this setting being there prior to the update to my carrier, which is now O2 7.3, and I've taken some screens and posted them below.

For the record, while only getting GPRS at home, I still managed to connect to the internet on my iMac with tethering switched on in the iPhone settings and choosing iPhone from the list of connections in the Network preferences panel.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If this setting was there from the get go, then ignore this thread. However, I'm sure I would have noticed this in my carrier settings and it jumped out at me after my phone reset once accepting the carrier update and going to see if anything had changed.

My iPhone 4 was prompted for the update around 8:30pm (UK time).

2. C8XY macrumors 6502

I’m on O2 7.1, only gives the option to ‘set up internet tethering’
    How are you being charged for this?

3. flipshot macrumors 6502a

This is definitely different from what there is currently. I'm still on 7.1 not had the update come through yet and there is a button for set up tethering which if you select you get a pop-up saying visit the O2 website. You don't get an On/Off setting like you are getting, unless thats what you get when you have set it up on the website.

4. WeegieMac thread starter Guest

WeegieMac

Well, I'm on PAYG mate and I've got 1p call credit left. :D

I connected no problem, but I have Unlimited Data and WiFi through the 12 months free data and WiFi that O2 gave with all iPhones when I bought my 3G in September 09.

When I bought my iPhone 4 and got my Micro SIM, I called O2 and they transferred the entire SIM over to the Micro SIM, which meant I kept my number, tariff (O2 Unlimited), and any free allowances I had (the last two months of my unlimited data and WiFi).

It's not something I'm going to use, just in case when I top up at the end of the month they zap my credit away on some hidden tethering charges, but my understanding is that if I was going to be charged for it, and didn't have the credit available, then it would decline the connection attempt.

5. logicpro7 macrumors 6502a

I've been using this and can confirm it does not use your credit on o2 payandgo

6. telco*engineer macrumors member

I have a simfree iphone 4 running on t-mobile and I also get this option now.

7. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

8. WeegieMac thread starter Guest

WeegieMac

9. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

I am indeed.

10. Woomy123 macrumors regular

Is there a way to get it to update to 7.3 I'm still on 7.1?

11. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

Pay Monthy customers don't need the update, and aren't given it.

12. shandyman Suspended

ever since the 7.3 update my iphone has not been able to go on the internet, getting the bloomin "could not activate cellular data network" pop up!! grrr

13. papo2 macrumors member

have someone that has 7.3 update go into their computer files and email you the .ipcc file.

Once you have it, go into iTunes and hit shift+upgrade. Change the selection from ipsw to ipcc and select the 7.3 file. it should work.

14. NickRno77 macrumors regular

I think this should sort it out ?

http://shop.o2.co.uk/update/settings.html

15. jambobowron macrumors regular

jambobowron

i just did a full restore because on 4.0.1 i could not get 3G at all, after restoring i was prompted to update carrier settings - so if anyone can be bothered to do that i suppose you could do

16. kayemill macrumors newbie

Can anyone confirm if 7.3 removes the tethering. I updated carrier settings when I first got it and I am on 7.2. Tethering has always been there for me.

If I accept 7.3 will it be romoved?

If so is there any way to permenantly reject the update.