Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

John T

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 18, 2006
UK.
Oh dear - I do hope this is not an indication of what to expect over the Christmas holidays! :mad:

NewGenAdam

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2008
I've had that all day here in Oxford too. Hope you're on it, O2! "PDP authentication failure"

tubechallenger

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2007
Bournemouth
It's only down for the idata.o2.co.uk login by the looks of it, as I could connect to the internet through tethering through the iPhone fine - but not on the iPhone.

C8XY

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2008
It's only down for the idata.o2.co.uk login by the looks of it, as I could connect to the internet through tethering through the iPhone fine - but not on the iPhone.

Yes you should change the Cellular Data APN to mobile.o2.co.uk

Go to Settings... General... Network... Cellular Data Network

anim8or

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2006
Scotland, UK
Same up here in scotland....

Checked O2 forums and it seems that its the idata.o2.co.uk logins that are down right now....

I changed my settings to mobile.o2.co.uk and its working for me now....

sdm1985

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2008
Yes you should change the Cellular Data APN to mobile.o2.co.uk

Go to Settings... General... Network... Cellular Data Network

You never know they may be upgrading the service ha ha ha...as if.

Is there any implication on the iphone, if the settings are changed to mobile.o2.co.uk?

Thanks

i person

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2009
UK
Not working for me up here in Scotland :(

Mines on "pay as you go" as well
Everyones on heres problems seem to with contracts

sdm1985

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2008
I could not connect today (10:20) and I changed my settings from idata to mobile.o2.co.uk and it now works.

Will this have any implication on my allowances? I used this setting when I was on a non iPhone tariff.

Kebabselector

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2007
Birmingham, UK
I can't get the internet in Birmingham either. I'm a bit dubious about changing the internet settings to the PAYG.

I heard 02 will charge you for the data if you change it.

shotts56

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2008
Scotland
Ditto. Was down in Glasgow all day yesterday, now down in Edinburgh all day today. There are too many people affected for this not to be a major problem,

Skengman

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2008
Essex/London
Down all day yesterday in Essex. Today in East London it works, but I constantly get pop ups saying 'Could not activate cellular data network', even when sending texts/doing nothing requiring interwebs.

NightFox

macrumors 68040
May 10, 2005
Shropshire, UK
Also been down on Shropshire/Cheshire/N. Wales border since yesterday evening.

Word is this is the same IP address allocation problem that caused similar issues back in summer. Not good.

Had to change the APN to mobile.o2.co.uk what ever that is. Will that screw anything up?

The o2 forums seems to suggest that this is what some people are being told to do by o2, but only for 24hrs (this might just be because they hope things will be fixed by then), though some also add that o2 have told them they may be charged for data via this APN, though if they contact o2 these charges will be cancelled.

VietXu

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2009
Right here's the deal - just called o2 now.

I asked the operator if io2 would charge me for changing over the VPN to mobile.o2.co.uk. She spoke to her manager who advised not to change the VPN over as it will charge me.

Earlier on this morning, o2 operators were telling people to change the VPN over and they would be refunded for short term effects. This is now not the case and she has warned that any VPN change usage from a few hours ago will not be refunded. She also told me that they were advising against the change to mobile.o2.co.uk because the change over and rush of demand was actually making the situation worsen and the problem longer to fix.

Don't know what anyone makes of that but her manager was strict on the fact that there would be no refunds as the problem should be fixed this afternoon, in a few hours time.

Just to let you all know!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.