O2 Charging for data used on iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by enyfeo, Jul 28, 2008.

1. enyfeo macrumors newbie

Had my bill on saturday and I have been billed £57 for data that I used after getting the iphone.
    I bought my iphone on 21/07/08 at around 13:00
    This is from my bill

21 Jul 08 14:03:00 mobile.o2.co.uk 23644 57.940 P

Has anyone else had this?

2. adversecamber macrumors regular

3. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

How you called O2 to ask yet? It could well just be a mistake.

4. atiffarooq macrumors 6502

atiffarooq

My first bill came to £54.36, should have been £52.50 (O2 45 Tariff Plus Unlimited Texts). The reason for the extra amount was because my billing date was the 13th, and I got my iPhone on the 12th, so the extra was for the additional day. Are you sure that's not what you've been charged for? You definitely shouldn't be paying any data charges on O2, whether it's 3G, Edge or Wi-Fi (Cloud/BT Openzone).

Edit: Just read your post again and it states you got billed £57 for data alone?! I thought it was in total. Apologies - I would definitely ring O2 and try get your money back.

5. philgilder macrumors 68000

an upgrade generally takes 24-48 hours to happen

you used data on the day you upgraded, so you were still on your old contract, and therefore got charged for using it

happens for all contracts, no matter what service provider you are with. you should have been told about it

however, if you demand you were not told, and that it is unreasonable with the iphone as it is very data-centric, then you should be able to get a refund

6. enyfeo thread starter macrumors newbie

they replied and told me it was tough as my iphone wasnt activated until the day later despite they new that I first used the iphone on the 21st. they refused to refund it but now have done it.

7. sunfast macrumors 68020

sunfast

Glad you got your money back but that must have been quite a shock!

8. philgilder macrumors 68000

the iphone can be used before the new contract comes into effect, as you have seen
    they should (and have) refund you, but they dont have to!

9. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

At least it wasn't like those people who got charged 1000s of dollars for their bill when the first iPhone came out.

Glad it all worked out for you. :)