Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brianjcameron

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 8, 2008
Like many first adopters in the UK my iPhone 18 month contract with o2 is coming to an end on 9th Jan 2010.

It is VITAL that i retain my number, but with a likely new iPhone coming June / July 2010 if Apple maintain an annual update, i do not wish to enter into another long contract, and thus miss out on the new model.

What are my options in Jan 2010?

What are other users in the same boat planning to do?

What offers do o2 plan to make?

I am currently on the original 3G model - 3GS does not make me wish to rush out and buy.

Thanks in advance for your feedback / advice.

brianjcameron

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 8, 2008
I thought as your contract expires, you had to give 30 days notice to cancel, or a new 18 month contract would start. Can you roll it on month by month? How do you go about this?

testcard

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
Northumbria, UK
Given that Orange and Vodaphone will both be supplying the iPhone by the end of the year, it's certainly worth waiting. With two new suppliers on board, there should be some competition over tariffs, and if you decided to change operator you can take your existing number with you.

dalvin200

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
Nottingham, UK
I thought as your contract expires, you had to give 30 days notice to cancel, or a new 18 month contract would start. Can you roll it on month by month? How do you go about this?

you just continue as you are... your minimum term contract has ended... which means you are free to leave if you so wish (without paying any extra fees), but you can also stay on it..
to terminate it, you will have to give 30 days notice

JAWWC

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2008
I'm planning on going Simplicity. Do I need to unlock my iPhone 3g to use the o2 sim?

dalvin200

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
Nottingham, UK
Given that Orange and Vodaphone will both be supplying the iPhone by the end of the year, it's certainly worth waiting. With two new suppliers on board, there should be some competition over tariffs, and if you decided to change operator you can take your existing number with you.

yeah, but the OP would then most likely be tied into another contract.. something he does not want to do.

unless the iPhone can be legally unlocked (or could jb and unlock) after contract and then go on a PAYG voda/orange/o2 etc... but data rates probably won't be cheap compared to the current iPhone tariff

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
I'm planning on going Simplicity. Do I need to unlock my iPhone 3g to use the o2 sim?

No, you just phone O2 once your contract is up and they change your plan to Simplicity and you carry on with the same SIM.

yeah, but the OP would then most likely be tied into another contract.. something he does not want to do.

unless the iPhone can be legally unlocked (or could jb and unlock) after contract and then go on a PAYG voda/orange/o2 etc... but data rates probably won't be cheap compared to the current iPhone tariff

I think they were just suggesting that there will be more choice for when the next iPhone comes out next summer.

dalvin200

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
Nottingham, UK
I think they were just suggesting that there will be more choice for when the next iPhone comes out next summer.

oh yeah... when it comes out there is going to be mass competition :)
as long as orange/voda don't basterdise the iphone like they do all other phones :p

dav146

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2007
My 3G contract also ends in Jan 2010. I rushed out and purchased a 3GS when it was released for £540 and stuck the sim in my old 3G that my son now has.

I am hopeful that Orange & Vodafone will release some 'simplicity' style tariffs for the iPhone when they launch it.

Hopefully come Jan when my contract expire more info will be available for legally unlocking both phones - leaving me free to update the firmware with no problems!

:apple:

ukdy

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2009
Like many first adopters in the UK my iPhone 18 month contract with o2 is coming to an end on 9th Jan 2010.

Sorry to break it to you... but you weren't an first/early adopter. You were a bit of a Johnny-Come-Lately!!

Those of us in the UK who got our iPhones and signed up in November 2007 were the early adopters.. or those imported them from the USA in summer 2007 if you wanted to be really keen!

There was life before 3G!! - OS 1.0.0 anyone!

:p

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
as long as orange/voda don't basterdise the iphone like they do all other phones :p

Apple control the iPhone OS and don't allow any network branding or customisation. Orange and Vodafone are selling the iPhone in other markets without any branding, why do people think this will change when they start to sell them in the UK?

Bakey

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2003
O Donny Boy
Sorry to break it to you... but you weren't an first/early adopter. You were a bit of a Johnny-Come-Lately!!

Those of us in the UK who got our iPhones and signed up in November 2007 were the early adopters.. or those imported them from the USA in summer 2007 if you wanted to be really keen!

+1 ;)

paduck

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2007
If your contract expires and there are other carriers who will support your iPhone, can you get it unlocked from O2? Or is it stuck with O2 forever?

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
O2 will not release an iPhone that's locked to o2. I've already asked and was basically told to buy another off orange etc if that's what I wanted.

I will be leaving my contact rolling till June then getting the 3gmilf.

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005

I would go on Simplicity when your contract is up. Otherwise you will still be paying the subsidy, you can save about £15 a month and get more minutes and texts on Simplicity though you do lose visual voicemail.

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
O2 will not release an iPhone that's locked to o2. I've already asked and was basically told to buy another off orange etc if that's what I wanted.

Things could change. Currently O2 hasn't made it's official mind up. They'll say they're currently locked to O2, which is true, but that doesn't mean that won't change. Apple would need to get sorted on its end the implementation to unlock phones via their serials via iTunes.

dalvin200

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
Nottingham, UK

aww.. i'm not as early as you then.. i was a 1.0.1 adopter! ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.