O2 Contract NOT renewed after upgrade

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by punitnaker, Jul 30, 2008.

1. punitnaker macrumors regular

I just logged into MyO2 page to check my bill, I've upgraded to iPhone 3G since launch day. I checked my contract status and it still says that the renewal date is May 2009 i.e. the end of my original 18 month contract which i got on iDay. Does this mean that I am not in another 18 month contract and *maybe* able to upgrade when iPhone 3.0 is released sometime in 2009?

Has anyone else checked the status of their contract if it has renewed or not?

2. redgaz26 macrumors 68020

redgaz26

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5A347 Safari/525.20)

mine says the same. They probably havnt got round to updating the accounts yet.

3. punitnaker thread starter macrumors regular

I started this thread last year and now that we are fast approaching the release of the 3rd Gen iPhone, people are wondering if they will be eligible for an upgrade.

I logged into My O2 account info and it still says that my contract ends 8th May, which was my original renewal date from my 1st Gen.

I upgraded last July when the 3G was released. Has anyone else noticed this on their O2 account?

4. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

take this with a pinch of salt, but i have heard that existing o2 contract owners will be able to upgrade for a fee... just like people were allowed to upgrade from iphone to iphone 3G whilst being in contract on o2..

i've also heard a price will be £100 for the expensive model (assume 32gb?) if you're already a 16gb owner..

again.. pinch of salt guys...

5. northy014 macrumors regular

They allowed iPhone 1st Gen owners to upgrade to the 3G for a fee, and I see no reason why they wouldn't do so again.

Apple wants to keep you using their platform, buying songs and apps from iTunes, and to make more and more revenue from you. What they don't want is for you to reach the end of a 2 year/18 month contract, realise the phone you've got right now is pretty old compared to the newest stuff in the market, and move on to something different, like a Blackberry or maybe a Pre.

Finally, you might consider using Envirofone or eBay to get some cash for your old iPhone when you upgrade...

6. sallythemac Guest

My colleague was the same. He rang up on his upgrade date and changed to a SIM only tariff. Lost Visual Voicemail, but saved £15 a month and doubled his texts.

The 2nd Gen was subsidised more than the first one, so they may be less inclined to offer you anything but paying full price for the new phone.