O2: Details about iPhone activation released.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by razorianfly, Jul 8, 2008.

1. razorianfly macrumors 65816

razorianfly

Attached Files:

2. yogamonkey macrumors 6502

yogamonkey

It does make me wonder why they are making such a big fuss about in-store activation when clearly it can be done at home. Surely the only thing they need to do is sign you up for a contract in-store then give you the unopened iPhone to take home and activate. So long as you are signed up to an 18 month contract, why would they care if you went outside and threw the phone straight in the bin unactivated?

All very strange.

3. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

That's awesome news.

It also means that Apple will be selling iPhone 3G in their online store soon enough, the same procedure as the original iPhone.
    Maybe they had a deal with carriers to allow them to get some pre sales first.

When I eventually buy my black (16GB) 3G, Apple is where I'll be getting mine from. ;)

4. Igantius macrumors 65816

The thing about not selling online is to do with people signing up to contracts – not to do with activation. Because under the old system a large proportion (some claim it’s 85%) of iPhone buyers didn’t go onto O2 iPhone contracts, but unlocked them instead, there’s no chance that they’ll be reverting to the old system.

Of course, this doesn’t exclude Apple selling iPhones online in another way.

5. a456 macrumors 6502a

a456

What about all those people that pre-ordered yesterday online at O2, who will have the phones sent by courier to them?

6. ay98182 macrumors member

Everyone who pre-ordered one online yesterday (myself included) will have signed up to an 18 month contract in the process.

7. Igantius macrumors 65816

I was referring to the possibilty about Apple selling online, which was Bergerfan was referring to - he seemed to think this piece of info meant that the old way of buying iPhones was going to be re-introduced by Apple, when it fact this information has obviously been added so people who have pre-ordered with O2 know what to do in order to activate their iPhone at home.