Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

julianna1973

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 14, 2008
Scotland
a new contract, saves going thru the hassle of ending contract & pac ing number etc.
I have just to phone on friday morning & pay the amount due then will extend my contract by whatever i choose.

Less hassle for me this way & others who are choosing this route

redgaz26

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2007
Glasgow
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

Ok if you have a few hundred pounds to spare!!!

julianna1973

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 14, 2008
Scotland
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

Ok if you have a few hundred pounds to spare!!!

As i said, for those who are choosing this route & no, i dont really have money to spare but its the one thing i like so im treating myself. I dont bother much with other things for myself.

cristo

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2008
As i said, for those who are choosing this route & no, i dont really have money to spare but its the one thing i like so im treating myself. I dont bother much with other things for myself.

It's "the one thing you like." What, the only thing in life that you like?

Anyway, it sounds like you're just upgrading and buying out the remaining time left on your current contract-- something which one can do with any phone contract... am I missing the point of this thread? :confused:

RA19

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2009
Warwickshire, UK
If you buy out your contract (I'm now on £35 tariff btw) do you get to keep the 3G phone when your new one arrives? Also does the buy-out cost take into account the fact that I would get a 1 month early upgrade concession under O2's upgrade terms? - so would I have to pay until 12 December or 12 January when contract officially expires?
Thx.

julianna1973

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 14, 2008
Scotland
It's "the one thing you like." What, the only thing in life that you like?

Anyway, it sounds like you're just upgrading and buying out the remaining time left on your current contract-- something which one can do with any phone contract... am I missing the point of this thread? :confused:

I guess you must be as O2 have been telling people to end their contract & start a complete new one, not just add on to the current one.

to answer your question, everyone tends to have a thing, with some people its cars or video games or handbags or whatever. With me it was always mobiles & now its iPhones

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
If you buy out your contract (I'm now on £35 tariff btw) do you get to keep the 3G phone when your new one arrives? Also does the buy-out cost take into account the fact that I would get a 1 month early upgrade concession under O2's upgrade terms? - so would I have to pay until 12 December or 12 January when contract officially expires?
Thx.

You keep your 3G phone.

If you buy out you contract you have to pay the full outstanding amount, so you will be paying up to the 12th of January.

julianna1973

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 14, 2008
Scotland
Thx.

Of course you get to keep the phone, you will have paid for it. As for the early upgrade question, i guess u would need to phone O2.

Leemo

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2006
Nottingham, UK
I don't get why people are buying out their contracts and starting new 18 month ones in the process - surely it's cheaper (and makes more sense) to just buy a PAYG one and pop your simcard in?

That way you'll be out of the current contract in December and able to actually move onto a simplicity deal (£20 a month for tonnes of minutes and unlimited browsing) - while also not being tied into a contract for next June, when the next one will probably be coming out. Just seems by moving into another 18 month contract you're setting yourself up for a worse situation next year.

-L

julianna1973

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 14, 2008
Scotland
I don't get why people are buying out their contracts and starting new 18 month ones in the process - surely it's cheaper (and makes more sense) to just buy a PAYG one and pop your simcard in?

That way you'll be out of the current contract in December and able to actually move onto a simplicity deal (£20 a month for tonnes of minutes and unlimited browsing) - while also not being tied into a contract for next June, when the next one will probably be coming out. Just seems by moving into another 18 month contract you're setting yourself up for a worse situation next year.

-L

I dont think so coz u buy the phone and THEN have to pay for your calls. Im signing on for 2 years this time as i will buy my phone next year and use contract sim but then in 2011, no prob as i will be eligible for upgrading. Althought by then it depends on what network is available but im not bothered im quite happy to stay on with O2 until then.

Leemo

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2006
Nottingham, UK
I dont think so coz u buy the phone and THEN have to pay for your calls. Im signing on for 2 years this time as i will buy my phone next year and use contract sim but then in 2011, no prob as i will be eligible for upgrading. Althought by then it depends on what network is available but im not bothered im quite happy to stay on with O2 until then.

But you don't have to pay for all your calls - you can just use your existing contract simcard? Your contract will continue as normal - you don't *have* to go onto a PAYG tariff. Do you see what I'm saying?

-L

julianna1973

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 14, 2008
Scotland
But you don't have to pay for all your calls - you can just use your existing contract simcard? Your contract will continue as normal - you don't *have* to go onto a PAYG tariff. Do you see what I'm saying?

-L

Yes but someone pointed out if you let your contract run, you are paying for a contract without the benefit of a subsidised phone.

nomad01

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2005
Birmingham, England
Yes but someone pointed out if you let your contract run, you are paying for a contract without the benefit of a subsidised phone.

But this way you're paying 6 months upfront to buy out your contract plus the subsidized cost of the phone. It works out about 70 quid cheaper than the PAYG route but you're locked into a contract for another 18 months.

julianna1973

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 14, 2008
Scotland
But this way you're paying 6 months upfront to buy out your contract plus the subsidized cost of the phone. It works out about 70 quid cheaper than the PAYG route but you're locked into a contract for another 18 months.

Im going for the 2 year contract. There is many ways to do it & I have been indecisive over the last few days but i think now I have decided for sure.

redgaz26

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2007
Glasgow

Leemo said:

-L

I thought iPhone payg tariffs were different.?

MattZani

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2008
UK
So your going to extend a Contract which is expensive because its subsidizing the price of the iPhone?

Sure apple will let you do that, your basically gonna pay the £15 for nothing! Happy days for them.

RA19

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2009
Warwickshire, UK
So would moving onto the Simplicity tariff give me the same benefits as my normal pay monthly tariff? £20 Simplicity = how many mins/txts? I guess Visual Voicemail won't work? What about the unlimited data element & wifi etc.?

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
Seems just putting your 6 months of £35 a month SIM card into your new PAYG iPhone GS then going to simplicity is a better deal. (Would the iPhone 3GS be locked to O2 this way? If so, for how long? Presumably the 3G iPhone would be unlocked once you've paid out the last few months / finished the contract?)

redgaz26

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2007
Glasgow
Well they are - *IF* you use them as a PAYG phone. If you just pop in your contract simcard it'll just be like before.

-L

I'm talking about when your pay monthly contract is up!!
can you simply buy a simplicity sim and use it in an iphone??

if you can its the way to go, 600 mins 1200 texts(online only) and unlimited data, £15 less than the contract!!!!!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.