O2 'early upgrade offer' a con to tie us in ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Devil's Refugee, Jul 28, 2008.

1. Devil's Refugee macrumors 6502

Given the current rumours that Apple might open up the UK market to more carriers, does anyone get the impression that O2 are already aware of this and their so-called early upgrade offer before Oct 11th to existing customers is really to tie us in for another 18 months just before Orange announce they're going to supply the 3G iPhone on their network for Christmas ??

2. yogamonkey macrumors 6502

yogamonkey

I do wonder why, on October 12th, original iPhone users won't be allowed to upgrade to 3g.

3. fastbite macrumors 6502a

fastbite

A con? I don't think so -- do they want to tie us in? Of course.

4. alFR macrumors 68020

Since they've made it as hard as possible for us to upgrade, it's a pretty badly-executed conspiracy if it is one. :)

5. m4rc macrumors 6502

Where are the rumours? There have been rumours of Vodafone getting cut in since day 1, but thats mostly spread by Vodafone shop staff desperate to keep the customers, the deal with O2 was for 5 years, I think its people just hoping a little too much.

6. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Would prefer it if O2 didn't let you upgrade early? :confused:

7. donnie3000 macrumors member

Just a theory......

I suspect 32Gb capacity and/or other hardware updates (perhaps a new model???) are on the way sometime shortly after October 11th to serve the holiday market. The early upgrade offer finishes in advance of this to prevent existing 1st gen iPhone owners from going straight to this for free.

8. masteroflondon macrumors regular

What's O2's normal policy? When the existing contract expires, what should we expect to pay for the 3G anyway? Would you normally, once out of contract, get the fully subsidised price?

If so, this means there's a window, between the offer and contract expiring, during which you can't upgrade. But would that be can't upgrade at all, or can but would have to pay more? In which case do we have any idea what the cost would be?

To address the OP's point, if there are alternative carriers coming, how much difference would your longer tie (which comes at a cost to O2) make, since you could still switch at the later time? Why would people want to switch anyway? Are O2 that paranoid about their service?

Unless, perhaps, a little after the deadline O2 loses exclusivity AND there's another new iPhone.

9. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

You are probably closer to the truth — which is why I will be sitting out this version of the 3G and upgrading when I am "allowed" to around April 2009.

I remain unconvinced that Apple will be offering other phone companies the iPhone — definitely not after just a year.
    I cannot imagine O2 would have agreed to such a short period of eclusivity — people may scoff but a serious amount of money was spent by O2 promoting etc. (Not saying it was well spent. ;))

10. philgilder macrumors 68000

you pay the same price, so either £160, £100 or £60 depending on phone

the offer means you can get out of the contract for free. if you change contracts after this date, you have to pay the full amount of contract months left, eg if your on a £35 contract, with 12 months to go, you pay o2 35x12=£420 to cancel the contract and get a new one

o2 has a rubbish data network, 3g is really hard to get except in large towns and cities

11. Project macrumors 68020

How was it a con? They offered you the phone for £x provided you sign up for 18 months, which many willingly did.

12. alFR macrumors 68020

According to O2 you can normally only upgrade in the last month of your contract. However, I would have thought that if you just call O2 and tell them your old phone had been broken/lost/stolen and you want to buy a replacement you could buy one at the full price, at least every other carrier I've been with before has let you do that.

13. Solo13 macrumors newbie

Tis not much of an "offer" really. If we got a bit of cash off the price of the new phone (say step everything down one tier, so I could get a 16gb for £99 on £35 a month, 8gb for free maybe, or £50?) that'd be good, not too stoked that we, as valued customers still pay full whack.
    I'll be waiting til the 32 comes out at least

14. sadsack macrumors member

I some how dont think orange will have the rights to sell the iPhone, especially if o2 are doing an okay job as o2 are the ones who have negotiated a rate with Cloud and BT Openzone access via wifi. Yes maybe there is a new model coming out in october and that could be the reason for O2 making people update before October, however, i think it is more of a "almost one year" of presence in the Uk. Those who signed up in Nov 07 will have almost been a year into their contract and if O2 can get them to resign within that year they can project estimated income for the next 18 months.

Not only this, existing customers of the iPhone who have not already upgraded will be in their 9/10th month of their contract. As far as i am aware you can downgrade your tariff after this period. It is therefore in O2's interest to sign people up to an exisitng monthly tariff or even get consumers to increase their tariff to have a more of a subsidised phone.

15. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

The Register had an article a few days ago which speculated that Orange may also start selling the iPhone - linkety link

16. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

Personally I thought it was a great offer:

(1) Didn't have to wait until the expiry of the original contract to get the latest model;

(2) Got the latest model at a snip. 16GB for £59, rather than £269 for the earlier 8GB model;

(3) Sold my original iPhone on eBay for £280 (more than it cost) after 7 months of use!

17. Solo13 macrumors newbie

Oops, blame a combination of being at work and the phone/forum combo having issues.

And nope, considering O2 already have a load of my money, and will continue to take a bit more off me every month for a while, I don't think that's much of an offer. But that doesn't mean anyone else has to agree with me.

18. philgilder macrumors 68000

you already posted that
    and you don't think saving hundreds of pounds (which would be needed to cancel a contract) is an offer?